Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB acquired mortgage from Ulster. Looking for ID.

Options
  • 09-11-2023 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

My mortgage was taken over by ptsb due to Ulster leaving the market. I received a letter saying they need me to provide ID. Usual money laundering nonsense. My OH hasn't received a letter from them and we are both on the mortgage account. In any case, if I don't give them my ID within 30 days they say I have to action their requirement, what does it matter? Ignoring the fact that the date of the letter was 2 weeks ago and was only received today, I see no reason to inconvenience myself and give them photo ID. I didn't choose to be their customer.

Stay Free

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

To be honest I'd be rather put out by this request myself. I know there's probably some AML or something involved but as you say, you didnt choose to move to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The bank is required to comply with the MLA just like any other financial institution. If you fail to comply with the law and don't provide the information requested, then you should not be surprised if the credit facility is withdrawn and you are forced to find a lender at short notice. You may find it less inconvenient to simply respond to the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Just send it. You would have had it done in the time it took you to post this ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you expected them to do what is legally required? Because that's what they're doing.

Tell your OH to be adult and contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Tbh, I'm just a bit annoyed with the situation in general. They've been cràp to deal with since they acquired the debt. Terrible communication and letters seem to always be 2 weeks backdated. For a comparison, I received a letter from BOI today which was dated 2 days ago. Ptsb was 2 weeks ago.

Who pìssed on your cornflakes?

I didn't expect anything from them because I didn't choose to be their customer. As far as banks go, they are the least competent I have dealt with. However, as they have acquired my mortgage, I expect them to send their mail on the day of printing a time sensitive letter.

My OH shouldn't have to chase them either for them to meet their legal obligations. What a ridiculously passive aggressive suggestion.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

MOD: stick to the topic, none of the personal stuff.

There is no need forthe OH to do anything unless she is asked to supply ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Given your letter arrived "late", perhaps the letter for the OH is still in the post.

If you wanted to waste their time, you might ask them if the 30 days starts from the date on the letter, or when it arrived, pointing out the two week difference.

At the end of the dayt AML/KYC is governemnt laws and requlation and outside the control of hte bank, and has to be renewed every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

My missus got it too. I was annoyed. I know it's regulatory requirements but not sure why they can't just use the same info we originally used. It hasn't changed. But I know banks are inefficient and somewhat incompetent so my options are ignore the letter (and just deal with the subsequent letters and whatever consequences that means) or pay off my mortgage in full or upload the ID.

No point dragging it out. What are you going to achieve? I logged onto their upload site using the details provided and had it uploaded within a minute.

I didn't get asked for ID as I have a PTSB acct so the box must be ticked for my ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The OH is party to a debt that needs to be paid. That liability hasn't gone away.

It is prudent to make sure that your lender has your current contact details. And that includes a new lender if the debt is sold.

If the OH's contact details were not passed on to the new debt-owner, and something happens in the future so payments fall behind, eg serious sickness, then the OH would be still liable but uncontactable. That can have consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That was my thinking too. They bought the debt and according to previous letters from both Ulster Bank and ptsb, all documentation has been forwarded to ptsb. Oddly enough, Ulster used to send our mail to our old address, but ptsb send it to our current address, usually with both our names, but this time, I was the only named person.

I scanned my DL and popped it in the envelope they provided along with the letter and posted this morning. Not a big inconvenience, but an annoyance from a shItty bank.

This. I imagine if my OH sent in her ID, they would scratch their heads and file it in the dust bin after a short pause.

The lender already has our contact details. If they changed, they would be notified by us. As they haven't changed, there was no need to contact them at all.

Stay Free

What happened in the past is completely irrelevant, the Know Your Customer (KYC) is an ongoing legal requirement for all financial institutions and they randomly carry out checks on their customers. You might never get asked to provide identity or related documentation after opening your accounts and you might get asked every year in a row for fives years, that is what random means. In addition if you have connections to a business sector where it is difficult to verify cash flows, you can expect that your accounts will be monitored more closely - Taxi drivers, hairdressers, bookies and so on.

Unlike most other regulatory measures which apply just to financial institutions, MLA applies directly to individual staff members who could be charged with a criminal offence if they fail to comply with the regulations, so you can expect that they will not be as flexible with these rules and they might be on other occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Tow

When sending in ID, I always write/print across it the company I am sending it to and instructions to forward it to Data Protection Commissioner if found.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I was assuming it was incompetence in transferring the old details from Ulster Bank to PTSB but they're random checks. Those random checks are very useful so. Driving license is valid for 10 years. If I get asked 5 years in a row they'll be getting 5 copies of the same license.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Warned for not starting facts? Bit touchy.

Not sure which bit wasnt a fact.

A driving license is valid proof of ID provided it is kept up to date, if you changed address in those 10 years and failed to update it then no it is not valid anymore.

To be good at MLA one has to have a great memory and keep great records of what you submit each time... some are well organised, but most are not. You ask for the same document 5 times in a row and very often they trip up and send in a wrong one or even better send in something that alerts you to a problem with a different account. Now that is as far as I'm going to go on disclosing how this stuff is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

You are not required by law to update your licence when you change address. It's rare for them to accept a licence as proof of address anyway, as they generally wouldn't accept it for proof of name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The OP has received the advice they need. Whether they engage with the bank is their own lookout. Why would anyone else care after that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement