Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas sandwiches

Options
  • 09-11-2023 1:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have always gone for a Christmas-themed sandwich when available like the M&S Christmas sandwich that they have in December or a turkey, brie and cranberry sauce panini or sandwich always feels Christmassy to me too. However I think some of them go a bit over the top and put me off. Do you embrace all food things Christmassy regardless or do you have a limit? (*this is not the place for the cinnamon debate, lol)

Exhibit A, this Christmas sandwich from Nook Café in Collooney in Sligo. It sounds too much to me but I also want a bite to be sure 🤣

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It does look tasty but yeah, there is a lot going on at the same time! The best sandwiches are those you make at home on Christmas Eve with the ham and corned beef or after Christmas dinner with the turkey - mayo, stuffing and cranberry sauce mmmmm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yep one of my favourite memories from Christmases past is when you'd all be watching tv on Christmas night and Dad would disappear into the kitchen asking who wanted a sandwich. Or else he'd just make a big plate of them to share with a mix of ham or turkey.

Turkey, stuffing, mayo and salt in a sandwich, yum!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Oh I loooove a Christmas sandwich but I confess I prefer to make it myself. I would try the sandwich above but it seems a bit heavy handed.

The ideal:

Soft fresh white bread. Real butter. Herb and sausage meat stuffing. Turkey and mayo. Ham and cranberry sauce. Served with some cheese and onion crisps and a bit of hot gravy for dipping. Absolute heaven. Here's one from last year. Drool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG Mystery Egg, what are you doing to me!!! I need that NOW!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Gravy with sandwiches is a new one on me, I obviously haven't been living, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Turkey and Wensleydale cheese (the sort with Cranberries) sandwich is about as adventurous as I get.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

I love cinnamon!lol :D :P

I don't think I'd like brussel sprouts in sandwich! :O

I had a festive club sandwich last year and it was really lovely. My brother runs a burger joint and two years ago he did a festive burger- turkey mince with bacon, stuffing and cranberry sauce- was really lovely! Not exactly a sandwich though

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

That is a monstrosity. You'd put your back out eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Love this topic!

Every Christmas leading up to the day, my partner and I go on the search for the best Christmas sandwich which we then rate (we have specific criteria, which sometimes change from year to year). The winning sandwich is the one that has the highest combined score. Foe example, we score it on things like (1) cost (2) construction - how it is made and how it holds together (3) ingredients - amt and quality (4) Christmassy feels (this can take in the surrounds that it is served in).

We each choose two venues to visit to sample their Christmas sandwich and do this over a few weekends.

So to that end, I am looking for suggestions of the best Christmas sandwich in Dublin (perferably on the Southside, but we will travel!)....what's your best Christmas sandwich?

Post edited by BabysCoffee on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Not Southside, but 147 Deli on Parnell Street (Rotunda end) does a great Christmas sandwich. 😋 Honey-glazed ham, turkey, bacon fat sprouts, crispy bacon crumb, brie, sage & hazelnut stuffing, and cranberry sauce on granary bread, served with a side of chicken wing gravy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jesus that's filthy sounding.... in a good way....

I love the sound of this, could this be the next Christmas forum challenge? 👀😄 Didn't we rate hot chocolates one year or was that just a general hot chocolate thread that I got very invested in? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

There definitely was a hot chocolate thread as I remember also being invested in it, despite the fact that I don't like hot chocolate. I'm always tempted to try a festive hot chocolate but I also never do because I'm afraid I'll spend 4 quid on it to be disappointed!

When has gravy with a sandwich become a thing? Sounds vile.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Agreed, sounds awful. Wasn't there an episode of Friends with a christmas sandwich & the middle layer of bread had been soaked in gravy?

Rachels trifle recipe getting mixed in with the shepards pie one ... Joey still ate it IIRC!! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Can't believe I've never heard of this place as such a lack of decent lunch spots around there.

Looking forward to trying that bad boy out when it hopefully returns!

I worked on Earlsfort Terrace for a while recently and both Emer's Kitchen & Gerard's Deli would have some form of Christmas Sambo variant that was very much enjoyed albeit not the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The moistmaker!

I love a dipping sauce with a sandwich or burger. I think gravy as a dipping sauce works better than loading it onto the sandwich because I'd worry about its structural integrity.

• Advertisement

That was it! It was Ross' sandwich & someone at work ate it - amazing how a phrase can jog your memory!

Gerards Deli might go on my list for the Christmas Sandwich competition......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

My lads love a leftover roast sambo. Spread mash over the bread, drizzle with gravy and then add the meat. I can sometimes smuggle a little veg. They'll eat this cold in school. Personally I'd happily eat it but only hot.

My Stephens day goto has 2 stuffings, mayo, cranberry sauce, brie, turkey, ham, maybe some thinly sliced roastie, Sprouts (shredded and dine in parmesan, bacon and cream) and maybe a drizzle of gravy over the meat/spud. Spuds, gravy and Sprouts would need to be hot, the rest is fine cold. If I don't have all of the above then a smaller selection will do. If I have homemade bread, all the better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mash on a sandwich?! That's definitely a new one on me!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My husband can eat just about anything in a sandwich. But mash? Eek. Is it cold? Actually I don't think I could eat it either way due to the texture. :o

Sorry I don't think I could handle mash in a sandwich. Not sure how it could be an enhancement?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

Best sandwich ever is Xmas day evening, Turkey, Sage stuffing, Ham ,White cheddar & Branston pickle with a bag of Tayto cheese n onion crisps.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

My favourite is a nice buttered crusty roll with turkey, apple, celery, Stilton and cranberry sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm laughing at all the horrified "mash on a sambo" comments. I fully agree, couldn't do it myself, hot, in a wrap with other leftovers, sure, but cold in a baguette or roll. .. yuck. But yet the lads look forward to it. And all 3 have completely different tastes, think it's literally the only sandwich they'll all take the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Mash in a sambo is a new one on me also. Gravy is the best, I use it with the stuffing so the contents isn't dry. Makes a kind of paste, I now not appetizing. No mayo etc needed.

Post edited by Jude13 on

Advertisement