Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance

Options
  • 08-11-2023 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know, can your health insurance contact your gp without consent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not without consent

I don't treat GP info as strictly confidential

In the event of an insurance claim it can come into play

I would have imagined they would indeed, why wouldn’t they? I’m nearly positive any policy will include a stipulation or require you to consent to them contacting your GP to request medical information.

It’s health insurance after all so why wouldn’t they speak to your healthcare providers?

For example if you made a claim for GP visits would you suggest the insurer cannot contact the GP and confirm the visits?

The OP is omitting much detail the reason why they contacted the GP is more important than the matter of consent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I never say anything to a GP that I don't want an insurance company to know

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Deiselurker

Yes, they can. It's on the claim forms to say this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't know, if you take out health insurance they are strict about ore existing conditions so if you have been seeing a GP about a condition and then take health insurance to get it treated they might look for GP notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

If you take out a new health insurance policy, you will not be covered for a period of five years for any pre existing illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

When I submitted a claim, the insurer contacted the consultant for notes. The consultant in turn contacted me for written consent to release the notes I refused. I then contacted insurer saying I had sought their approval prior to the claim, end of story - they coughed up.

Advertisement