Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Options
  • 08-11-2023 5:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Honestly I didn't think Afterlife did so well it justified a sequel; though IIRC CoVid had its own effect, but here we are.

Looks like they have returned to New York this time, and hard to know if the original cast are getting another "walk on" cheque or will be a larger aspect of the film / story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Fair play to Rick Moranis for staying well out of these regurgitated omnishambles.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, he's coming out of retirement to work in a Honey I Shrunk the Kids legacy sequel, so maybe his judgement isn't that amazing either 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Afterlife was perhaps the most putrid of all the 'legacy sequels' - a joyless, mechanical slog. I have little hope for this one as a result, but you'd hope at least they've gotten the more inane nostalgia-peddling out of the way the first time around. But in a world where 'somehow, Palpatine returned', there is the fear there are always new empty nostalgia depths for Hollywood to frack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like the cast for a Nickelodeon show, I dont see any Ghostbuster magic, and I get the sense that the script will be bloated and dull, hard pass

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Acosta

I thought Afterlife was watchable/serviceable. It didn't deserve a sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought it was a great film and I throughly enjoyed it and I will this one too.

I would call this a nice surprise. There has only been one bad Ghostbusters movie so far and it was not afterlife.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

The fact they've had to shoehorn the city of New York into the regurgitated omni-shambles just makes this thing look utterly desperate for the member berries.

You can almost hear the chief executives around the mediocrity table

"why wasn't the first regurgitation more successful?"

"I dunno, it definitely wasn't the p!ss poor story, maybe it's because we didn't set it in the iconic city of New York like the original film, y'know the one with the actual good story?"

"We didn't set it in New York, you're right, set the next one in New York, and add some extreme weather climate $hite to it too, the kids are mad for that craic these days"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, the Spengler family returns to where it all started – the iconic New York City firehouse – to team up with the original Ghostbusters, who’ve developed a top-secret research lab to take busting ghosts to the next level. But when the discovery of an ancient artifact unleashes an evil force, Ghostbusters new and old must join forces to protect their home and save the world from a second Ice Age

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Jason Reitman involved in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ugh.

Sick of these sequels that are so heavily dependent on nostalgia and just how iconic they think everything in the originals is.

I loved the old ghostbusters vibe that these guys were Rentokil but for ghosts, but this looks to be putting them firmly in the heroes bracket. Pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they showed us things freezing etc and hen describe being scared to death, blood freezing, isn't that contradictory, those people died from cold not fright. this seems like 2012 climate change parable not a ghostbusters movie...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

New trailer up for this; looks like the original crew have more involvement than the glorifed cameo last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

There reviews for the new Ghostbusters are not great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn’t have thought it could be much worse than Afterlife - a miserable little slice of joyless nostalgia bait - but several reviews I’ve seen have suggested that it very much is.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Nostalgia bait or not, I thoroughly enjoyed Afterlife so I'll be going to see this.🤷‍♂️

At least it seems like they bothered to write the original crew into the story this time, and not just have them turning up in a blatant "clap for your childhood you monkeys" appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Lot of woke critics have their LGBT hats on here, the backlash to the 2016 shakedown hasn't been forgotten.

Just go and enjoy the film for what it is, a throwback to a comedy classic from 40 years ago.

Ghostbusters is getting like the predator franchise.

Only one of the films in the franchise is considered to be good and then you have endless sequels.

Huh: what are you talking about? Literally nobody mentioned any of that, or the 2016 film, 'til you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I mean the professional film critics. Majority of them are LGBT or got the memo. They have regrouped after the Afterlife sequel showed up the 2016 **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I didn't remember LGBT or whatever relating to the last one. I just thought it was pretty bad and failed at being remotely funny. So nothing to do with being woke.

The last predator movie is genuinely great and I've watched it twice. This is more playing on nostalgia and offering nothing interesting/unique to define it.

Mod note: Enough of the culture war conspiracy theories please. Let’s stick to the film itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Predator franchise has had some dross in it but apart from the original some of the others are decent (I really enjoyed Prey). I also really like Ghostbusters 2 as well.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Oh god, it looks like there is another outbreak of woke tourette syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭winstonia

Thing about something like Predator 2, it was born from an era when there was a less ... polished approach to sequels; it was mostly powered by cocaine mania mind you, but for all Predator 2's flaws it has energy and identity.

It was also from a time when nobody gave a shït about canon, legacy sequels, or nostalgic regurgitation for cheap dopamine hits and Funko Pop sales. Mainstream blockbuster Hollywood has completely ossified.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the Gen Z'ers ruin for me , changes the dynamics from the originals too much, but given how unreliable critic reviews are, wait for the audience one to roll in, trash critic review and decent audience score means could be fun

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

There is no reason for Ghostbusters 2 to exist it's just a rehash of the first film but nowhere near as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah still lots to enjoy, yeah it is a bit of a rehash, but it is fun Peter MacNicol and Moranis are great value too.

Oh and this section.

Advertisement