Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden office heating options

Options
  • 08-11-2023 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a garden office, 4 by 3m. I'm in it 9 to 5ish. I'm looking to heat it. I sit in the same area when I'm working. What do people use & what would you recommend please?

I have a large gas cylinder from the summer, would a gas heater/superser be a cheap, easy option?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Oil filed rad or convector heater, I have a similar sized garden office and use a convector, does the job for me, shed is insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A small electric fan heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You need to insulate it if not done already. It's not a difficult DIY job either.

If I were you I'd be running an oil filled rad off it and eventually looking into some DIY solar panels if the orientation lends to it. That could take the sting out of paying for rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for the quick replies. Garden office is already insulated (I think 80mm).

Just curious as to why a tower heater doesn't get recommended? They heat almost instantaneously, can heat just the one specific area. Are they noisy & expensive to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Have you cheap night rate ?

A storage heater might suit then for 9-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It depends on the technology.

Oil filled rads are like the rads in the house which are heated via oil. The hold their heat longer after being switched off. They wouldn't be as costly as convector heaters to run either. The quicker they heat up the more they cost is a good rule of thumbs.

Also with tower heaters they do heat up instantly but like that they cool down instantly too.

If the insulation is effective you could be ok but the costs could also be high. if your using it a lot. A lot of oil filled rads will use 2kw. So if you are using 450KW per month currently this could be significantly increased. If you were to use it 3 hours per day for 20 days of the month you could be hitting an extra 120kwh. That could easily be 40 quid a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I use a SuperSer now for a similar space having used oil-filled rads previously. I'm in and out quite a bit and the advantage of the gas heater is that it's instantaneous heat. If your office is properly insulated (and ventilated...) then it's a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not true. There is near 100% efficiency of conversion of electricity to heat, so the amount of heat output by a fan heater or an oil filled heater will be the same over time, so the cost works out the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In this day in age I'd consider a split-unit (AC) as the efficiencies are better than resistive-element heaters. Double-bonus is that they can also be used to cool the office in Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

has the room ventilation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

9-5 so you could consider storage if you have a cheap night rate

An existing supply would do probably for the heater

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A few concrete blocks as thermal storage. 😉 But yes, the split unit would run off a standard 13a socket. 2000w peak is common with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭randomguy

We went for one of these in our loghouse, mounted on the ceiling. Works for us, but we only work from home a few days a week and a few evenings too.

Not sure if link is working - we got a ceiling-mounted infra-red heat panel from a crowd in Dundalk, Pureheat (no connection, but they were pleasant to deal with).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if you are in the same spot, infrared heater placed near you could be good... that or an air to air heat pump

often I find that putting the heater right beside you, if its a normal electric heater

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I bought one of these a few years ago https://shop.flogas.ie/collections/gas-heaters/products/superser-radiant-heater

Perfect job, instant heat that can be controlled and very economical as I don't need to leave it on once the room is warm.

Advertisement