Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Opens at Dublin Port today

Options
  • 07-11-2023 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

I think this is big commitment to RO-RO freight in Ireland. Trucks and Roads still remain the preferred way to move freight, and will do for the next 50 years at least I'd say.

I listened to NT last week and the BS poring out of Harry Crosbie's mouth would make you sick.

Basically wants Dublin Port gone, so people like him can build over priced apartments on it after getting the land at a very cheap price.

Eammon Ryan also wants the "new car" depot on the East Wall road gone.

I think Barry O’Connell is holding all the cards though and is well able for the likes of Crosbie and Ryan. (hence the development of T4)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Regardless of his motives Crosbie's (hardly new) suggestion of using railfreight to reach a truck terminal in the Midlands is a valid one. Too many truck come in through Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

A tunnel from the red cow to the port, could take a large amount of lorries off a large part of the m50 and could be used by buses ,to gain rapid access to city centre and port area...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Its not a valid one. It reflects very little knowledge of the type of goods being transferred, by what means, their origin-destination, and the costs involved. It also reflects little to no knowledge of rail capacity in the Greater Dublin Area.

The idea that we take a container off a boat, put it onto a train, transfer it to Portlaoise, and then for the majority of goods drive them back up the N7 to the rest of the GDA is ridiculous. Hard to know if the emissions are better or worse , my guess is worse due to extra distances involved. The costs definitely go up due to extra handling.

Irish Rail's own rail freight strategy still has very little % of goods being transferred by rail freight and that's highly ambitious given the challenges involved and market interest.

And alot of Dublin Port Land isn't easily developed. The Port would still function to facilitate the rail freight connection. There's lots of high risk Seveso Sites which limit development or face massive costs for decommissioning, areas of contanimated lands, high risk infrastructure like major aviation fuel and power lines and so on.

We've an abundance of land inside the Canal Cordon and M50 that is much more easily developed for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Then build a line on the short section between the Sligo and Cork lines near Celbridge with an intermodal yard. It would also connect these two lines opening up all possibility of new rail services for passengers too. Best of all worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's not just freight

There's a large number of businesses in Dublin Port that need to be close to the port.

Hammond Lane Recycling, Irish Tar. Many Petroleum Companies, ESB, Irish Water and a load of Logistic companies are based out of (or have big operations) at Dublin Port. It is not trivial to move them.

It bugs the hell out of me, when people with money that no idea what they are talking about give us a narrative on "what they think"

It should also be noted that Dublin Port (as far as I am aware) is one of the only major ports in Europe that doesn't need to be routinely dredged. The cost in that alone is incredible.

Total BS!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We can thank Captain Bligh (of the Mutiny on the Bounty) for the lack of dredging required.

It is the Bull Wall and the North Wall, designed by him, that gets the Liffey to do the dredging for us. Bull Island is the result of the water flow and where the silting now happens.

Advertisement