Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson 2025 : The next president of Ireland?

Options
  • 07-11-2023 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Mary Robinson is entitled to nominate herself to run for president to serve a second term in 2025, considering that climate change is her thing and a big thing in the 2020s, it would make sense for her to return to the Aras on a climate change platform which would appeal to young people, also most people over 45 would vote for her due to nostalgia for her first term in the 90s, Age might be mentioned as an issue but she is younger than Joe Biden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

She made it clear in the past that she's not interested and sees herself doing more good elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

is that fruitcake still involved with "The Elders"

google it

the arrogance of it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Travelling around the world putting up more emissions than Finglas and then waffling to us about climate change, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I prefer David McSavages version of Mary Robinson....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lord no, couldn't be bothered to serve out her term last time, should disqualify her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Haven't we had enough of Mary's in the Aras?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭jmcc

Hadn't the decency to finish her term. The Irish Times and RTE would love her to run. Don't think that Labour and the Stickies will have enough council or Dail seats to nominate her this time round.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭jmcc

Are you sure that she can? Is it only a sitting president that can self-nominate?

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

4   1° Every citizen who has reached his thirty-fifth year of age is eligible for election to the office of President.

2° Every candidate for election, not a former or retiring President, must be nominated either by

i      not less than twenty persons, each of whom is at the time a member of one of the Houses of the Oireachtas, or

ii     by the Councils of not less than four administrative Counties (including County Boroughs) as defined by law.

3° No person and no such Council shall be entitled to subscribe to the nomination of more than one candidate in respect of the same election.

4° Former or retiring Presidents may become candidates on their own nomination.

Nah, she could nominate herself if she wanted. It's not going to happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She is an odious individual.

her behaviour during her term as in the manner she left the office was despicable.

she obviously had while as President been in long talks with the UN about her leaving and joining them and what role she’d encompass. Months and months of talks you’d have to envision having taken place…extremely underhanded…all that going on while being paid by the Irish taxpayers…

She was elected to the presidency to see out a full term by the Irish citizens, to only serve the Irish citizens and because a more lucrative and suitable offer was made to her, she jumped ship early…..that aside I genuinely have never liked the cut of her jib…disrespecting the highest office in the country and by proxy the country and its citizens… quite simply unless you get ill, you should never seek to leave the office which you actively volunteered for and were elected to by the citizens.

saying that I’d say she might hook in a lot of 18-35 year olds, her campaign if she does run will be focused on getting the woke 🤮 vote so…

that demographic will have little to no memory of her indiscretion..but a lot of those dweebs would be thinking…” OMG, yeah she resigned because she wanted to help people in the UN “ 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Her ego is so grown by now theres no way she'd fit in the aras.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Marcos

Don't forget the greed and entitlement too. Princess Latifa might also disagree with her actions in trying to persuade the world that she was happy at being returned to Dubai when she tried to do a runner.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I genuinely think they try to make the office of President seem farcical at every opportunity so they can eventually table scrapping it along with the Seanad

Look at her ‘ Labour ‘ record. She was 20 years a senator never once running as a TD…. 😏

also on getting into the Aras, one of her first projects….she sacked a number of staff… looking back now it was 8….so much for Labour 🙄

she’d have never got into the Aras if it wasn’t for Brian Lenihans scandal & a huge amount of transfers from Austin Curry… Lenihan was multiple points ahead in the opinion polls and still won the general vote….despite the negative media attention.

‘Labour’ was only ever a stage for her ego, activism etc and she wanted the title of President to further both herself and her aspirations…Labour was then jettisoned when it suited her. A successful masterplan you have to say.

When people look back in time at the presidential greats, or just good presidents … her name won’t be amongst them…

little to no relatability, little to no gravitas, arrogance in spades and much of her interests just self serving and focused on issues and people outside of the state… and cashing in on the fact she was a woman which Mary McAleese never thought she had the need to do… yet McAleese was an incredibly popular two term president. She had an approval rating of over 90%…people just very much liked her.

Robinson, she hasn’t changed…. If she is elected she’ll just be almost permanently globetrotting and shooting her mouth off…marketing herself as an elected spokesperson for Ireland…. And doing even more politicking than Michael D… you’ll never hear the end of her….7 years of that ? Ehhh no thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Marcos

Strumms she already is permanently globetrotting and telling the peasants of the world i.e. you and me what to do. She's part of the elders, which seems to be a body where ex presidents and others are shuffled off to, in order to make themselves feel relevant. I bet it's all expenses paid, and tax free too!

I had forgotten that one of her first acts was to sack staff in the Áras. Compare that with Mary MacAleese, one of her first acts was to invite those poor Holy Cross girls that had to make their way to school through baying mobs of loyalists who threw urine and explosives at them, and threatened their parents with death for daring to bring their kids to school via the main road.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

She was never meant to be elected President - the plan was that she would come a good second to the popular Brian Lenihan (Fine Gael was in disarray and wouldn't be able to find a credible candidate) in order to provide a springboard for the next general election after which Labour hoped that she could become Minister for Justice. However Lenihan's campaign imploded and her Poloness found herself trapped in the Aras. She blamed Dick Spring for this and promptly dispatched him to New York in order to have her installed as General Secretary of the U.N. in place of Boutros Boutros Ghali (she wasn't willing to wait until his term expired). However despite the efforts of Team Robbo the mission was doomed to failure as China reminded our Foreign Minister of Mary's repeated utterings in the Seanad on the subject of Tibet which had not impressed the powers that be in Beijing. So she had to wait and stew in the Park until she was eventually offered a consolation prize in the U.N which led to her premature departure and her giving the two fingers to Mna na hEireann and the others who had put her there in the first place.

She's awesome, but no chance she'll run again. She's got more important work to do than act as a ceremonial head of state with a standing gag order from the govt

On a side note, I find it funny that some are still butthurt over her departure. It was 26 years ago, time to build a bridge and get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Wait... one of Mary McAleese's first acts as president was in 2001? Considering she was elected in 1997, I could've sworn she did stuff before that.

As always, Mary Robinson winds the right people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

She only went a few weeks early. Every single person in the world who has changed jobs at one point had done it while in another one. Whether it is an office job or political one, they are no different. They are just jobs being done by people. They’re not married to the job.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No Thanks.

Ohh I’m aware but at least Irish taxpayers ain’t picking up the tab..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

She ran for TD twice and came relatively close (4th in a 3 seater) in 1977

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nice story but obvious bollox. She wasn't even a member of the Labour Party by 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Ryan Tubridy is well liked by a lot of people and I'd say is almost guaranteed to be next president.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Please no

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Strange someone would sign up to the site just to start a thread and ask the question and then not engage with any answers.

Makes me believe it's some sort of research or polling or something.

Anyway no chance, it will be the bould Bertie.

Ahhhh I didn’t see that in my research….if true….. Shows what her constituents thought, told her twice in fact 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It would be a nice extra salary for him. And he could get rid of the car. Back to having a driver after Enda took it off him.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Your unfortunate placement of the comma makes that last sentence grammatically incorrect.

You should ninja edit it as follows or you will never be taken seriously again.

"Anyway, no chance it will be the bould Bertie"

Advertisement