Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a bicycle lock for a new electric bike

Options
  • 06-11-2023 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I am about to purchase a new electric bike at approx cost of €2500, Im planning on primarily using it cycling in / out of work.

It will stored at home in a shed where I also plan to lock it

Can you please recommend me a good bicycle lock for use with this bike.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Some beauts here. A kyrponite new york standard and an abus avera would be a great combo!

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-bike-lock

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

General advice seems to be having 2 locks! One of which should be high quality Kyrptonite or Hiplock. I would also recommend an anchor in the shed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Get a Litelok X1, expensive but they def won't cut through it quickly - https://eu.litelok.com/products/litelok-x1

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

If you have a dedicated bike rack at work, I think it's worth leaving a heavy motorbike chain and lock there to use alongside your portable locks.

I have a heavy ground anchor and motorbike chain at home in the shed.

It's just about slowing them down and forcing them to make a lot of noise in the hopes that something will happen to run them off or they will just look for an easier option.

Also remember than what you are locking it to and how you are locking it are as important as the lock you use.

Have fun on your new bike !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Take the battery and display out too whenever you are locking it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, think it's fast becoming conventional wisdom that you should use a Litelok X1, X3 or Hiplok D-1000 with an e-bike.

Don't think its on the market yet, but the Abus Super Extreme 2500 seems to be very like the Hiplok D-1000, and has what looks like a very good mount.

The Abus 12KS noose chain would work with any of the above, if you find locking awkward or impractical with just the u-lock (make the bike unrideable with the u-lock and secure it to stand, lamp post, whatever, with the noose). It works even with something as thick as the 18mm-shackle Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit mini u-lock (which itself is still a good lock, certainly for a moderately priced conventional bike, but isn't angle grinder resistant, unlike the Litelok X1, X3, Hiplok D-1000 and Abus Super Extreme 2500).

Bennetts.co.uk does great reviews and tests of motorcycle locks, which is probably an appropriate comparison for locks for expensive e-bikes

That site is very good for bicycle lock review generally. But for expensive e-bikes, I think they'd still only recommend the Litelok X range and the Hiplok D-1000 (as theyre on the market and angle grinder resistant).

If you want a secondary lock after that ,plenty of good recommendations on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

You need two sets of locks, one for each destination as these sort of locks are heavy to be cycling with.

Shed is start but you need something solid and secure to lock the bike to. Then lock the shed and consider an alarm and a camera. Both can be got cheap enough, particularly if you've power in the shed already. It's about inconveniencing a would be thief as much as possible.

Ebike battery should be kept indoors for the winter never mind for security reasons but in most cases thieves will have a van.

Depending on your home insurance provider, add the bike to your policy "all risks"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Good that other brands are starting to roll out alternatives to the Hiplok and Litelok. Hopefully prices come down a bit too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Multiple locks, to multiple things, take the battery and everything you can off when at home or in work.

The latter makes it less attractive to smart bike thieves, the former makes it to much hassle for stupid ones.

Personally, if you can leave it in the house, that's the best option for home, in work make it decidedly more difficult to take than the nearest bike wherever you lock up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have have few biked. But my primary mode of transport or most regular is motorbike.

Multiple times more valuable than an electric bike but both of them sit in the popular with thieves bracket.

As above. Buy the best lock you can afford.And yes it's best to permanent locks either end of journey. Get a large motorcycle lock and lock it to something in work. Leave it there. Carry a secondary lock on the bike so you'll have to locks in work and 1 that's permanent with the bike for quick stops.

Get an anchor point at home and a motorcycle lock there two.

You'll have 1 large permanent lock either end and a mobile lock less large but good quality.

Remember this is a good investment and you can most likely use them into the future with your next bikes. They act as an absolute deterrent as thieves most often will just go to the next most easy lock or 1 lock bike close by. You want that bike not to be yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭razor12345

Hello

Following recommendations received here, I bought a Litelok X1.

I have some discount codes for purchasing litelok (15 euro off), pm for link.

Mods, if this is again rules I will remove.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

But wouldn't they just cut through whatever its locked to instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Try not to leave a lock in a public place (eg locked to a bike rack on the street) where it can be tampered with in such a way that you can't lock your bike when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Anyone got a discount code for the Litelok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SpaghettiLover

Also looking for a discount code for Litelok.

bennetts.co.uk in their review, which is in the context of securing motorbikes, recommend immobilizing the bike with the LItelok on top of locking to the stand (this combination of tactics probably requires a chain noose for a motorbike, but that's not usually necessary for a bike, or, I assume, an e-bike). Thieves can always throw the bike in a van and cut through the Litelok later, when they don't run the risk of getting caught during the ten minutes or so it'll take, but, equally, they probably will just steal something that's about the same value but less of a commitment of time and energy in the first place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Like I said before, lock to multiple things. if there is only one thing, lock to multiple parts so they have to do multiple cuts. If its a railing, lock to multiple different rails, the thicker the better, if its to street furniture, try and get two different posts close together and lock to both. For Sheffield stands, lock at both ends, lower down if possible with a 3rd securing lock in the middle so they have to go through it at least twice. As above, different types of locks as well are of benefit. Heavy chain and a U lock etc. not all U locks if possible but f they are, different brands or lock type, make sure there is no space between the U where possible where a jack might fit in. Leave locks facing as downwards as possible.

Do I do all of this, not always, in fact rarely but I have a cheaper bike for stuff in tow so my risk rating is probably not as high as the OP. I still secure it either well or near a nicer bike that is less well secured.

Advertisement