Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosing

Options
  • 06-11-2023 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭

Have the ~1.5 year old bullocks in side now for finishing. What is your dosing of choice ? pour on, injecting , back the throat ? We seem to try something different every year. Just looking for opinions !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

First thing here is to look at the active ingredient, and switch if possible from what would have been used throughout the year especially with calves to break any resistance. Fluke is problem most years here, but this year its going to be a bigger problem. Using a product which will hit early immature Fluke will be important.

Route of choice here is through the needle or down the hatch. Pour on for lice once the whole shed has been done. This year its dosing each at approx 2 weeks after housing. Working with endofluke,bimectin injection and then at a later stage ectospec for lice

Cost is another factor, oral doses are cheaper compared to some pour ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Herxules

Is fluke only once a year on housing?

Worms every 6 weeks or so when on grass but only stock aged 6 months - 2 years or if they're coughing?

Lice once a year too?

Egg samples are the key to a lot of dosing

Fluke is a major problem here due to the wet nature of the ground

This is the dosing that has been done at grass. Suckler calves this year have only got one dose due to lungworm in the summer dairy bred calves have only received 2 doses. Store cattle only 1 again due to lungworm. A bit of rumen Fluke showed up in the store cattle and advice from the vet was to only do the ones that had dirty backsides.

A lot of dosing is not needed unless and is only feathering the pockets of merchants and drug companies

The winter housing time is a great chance to break the Fluke and worm cycles, with a bit of clever thinking and use of products. Some Fluke doses will require cattle to be housed for nearly 12 weeks before they will work. These are often where you have to dose twice in the winter.

Lice is condition that is in the environment and spreads quickly. The best job with lice is to do everything in the shed on one day. If there is issues in 3-4 weeks, do again and that will hit the remaining problem.

There has been a program with the DAFM and the vets rolled out where they will provide 2 faecal samples and a consultation with you for 30 mins. It's very helpful and informative. It's free of charge, ask to see are your vets doing it and when they are coming to do some planned work it can be easy to do the consultation then. The vet asked if he could see the products used, the ahi beefcheck profile on icbf. Having this it gave a great picture of where small effective changes could be made. This year it was to test prehousing for Fluke about 2-3weeks pre housing and to test again 2weeks after dosing. With the year that has been in it, I left off the test before housing. But will test after I finish the dosing.

The key is to make sure we have the products we have and that they will be effective in the future

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The Parasite Control TASAH programme is over for this year.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Is there any inclination it will run next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

From looking at the results are you seeing a massive increase in worms compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

OP - I use this as a guide.

@greysides can I dose with a Triclabendazole oral drench for fluke and also use an Ivermectin based pouron for parasitic control at same handling? Is it the vet that would know about Triclabendazole resistance or how do you know prior to selection?

@Herxules - see bottom of link above for info on injecting.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

Apologies for slightly highjacking but when yer doing dung sampling is it advisable to gather pools from say suckler cows and their calves separately or do ye just pool them altogether.

Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of doing it this year for the 1st time but haven't weaned them yet and they are in the shed together now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Yea probably best off having separate pots for the cows and calves. Give you a better overall picture for dosing them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭limo_100

When dosing for rumen fluke at housing do you have to wait for it to mature same as liver fluke?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I didn't do many at all this year so 'no comment'.

Adam Grant

can I dose with a Triclabendazole oral drench for fluke and also use an Ivermectin based pouron for parasitic control at same handling? Is it the vet that would know about Triclabendazole resistance or how do you know prior to selection?

As far as I know, yes, but the disclaimer is to read both datasheets.

You don't know about resistance prior to using it. Only way to check would be 'before and after' samples.

Adam Grant

Yes, because cows might not (probably not) need to be done for worms while calves will most likely need to be done. Watch for exceptions in the cows and treat those individually.

Adam Grant

Standard advice for Rumen Fluke is to not dose unless you've previously had a problem or there's indications of a problem after doing the other dosing.

With RF, it's the immatures that are pathogenic. Having eggs from adults doesn't necessarily indicate you have a RF problem as they are often present without causing problems.

Adam Grant

@greysides what is your opinion of dosing at housing or after housing. Is it a good time break parasite lifecyles with the exception of lice. Just a humble farmer here and not in the veterinary world. The environmental conditions for these parasites reproduce have be removed and it only dealing with whatever burden they are carrying at that time. Looking at the typical , stomach and lungworms and Fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mortan

Pour-in treatments are easy to apply and relatively inexpensive. However, they may be less effective than other methods and may cause some discomfort to the animal. You can consult.

Have a weanling here who has started coughing over few days.

He was housed 10 days ago and was dosed with Dectomax 4 weeks ago. What would be best to treat him with now. I have Ivomec Classic here or the Dectomax again maby ?

Also notice the weanlings are very scuttery in the shed even though there're on hay since housing to try and dry themselves and the cows up after the wet grass. Not weaned yet.

Would have expected them to be drying up a bit by now and not sure why they so scuttery including the cows ?

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Animal Health Ireland - Listing of products available in Ireland for parasite control in cattle 2023.

Well worth doing a print out - handy to have in the medicine cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Them guys used to have a planner for dosing ie typical year what one should be dosing for, when and what animal type, calf, cow, heifer. Anyone have a copy of it by chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

thoughts on just using Closamectin pour on ? We have clippers, so will be going on a freshly shaved back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭White Clover

My advice would be dung sample that weanling and talk to your vet about vaccinating all stock for ibr.

Sounds like Rumen Fluke from what you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

@greysides

Can you advise, in your opinion, what is the best vaccination policy for buying in weanling this time of year. I buy a few batches in Oct/Nov from marts. The day after they arrive I inject with IBR Live Marker and Bovipast, as well as giving an them an Ivermectin injection. I house them for the first week until they settle down and try to let them out. If cases of pneumonia arise, they tend to happen a week after they land.

I give the wormer as often in the weeks after arriving they can be coughing and it's hard to tell if it's from hoose or the start of pneumonia, other than temperature checking them.

Is the day after arrival too early to give them the pneumonia vaccines, I've heard it argued that you should wait a few days for their immune system to pick back up after the stress of the mart.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is pour-on uptake via the skin or hair follicle?

I thought it was skin, but someone told me hair and said that applying to freshly clipped backs was a bad idea. Right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It couldn't be the hair, absorbed through the skin. The follicles would remain after shaving

My policy in the past would have been to dose at housing. It gives about six months free of parasites at a time when they are getting the most expensive they get. It also prevents the carriage forward of parasites into the next year.

My thoughts now are the same except modified by FEC results if someone is willing to do so. It may be possible to exclude some groups from testing as they simply don't need it.

Adam Grant

Basically, talk to your vet. There are several possibilities and with their knowledge of your farm and general area they are best placed to give you specific advice.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Can you advise, in your opinion, what is the best vaccination policy for buying in weanling this time of year. I buy a few batches in Oct/Nov from marts. The day after they arrive I inject with IBR Live Marker and Bovipast, as well as giving an them an Ivermectin injection.

I'd suggest IBR Live and Rispoval Intranasal, both intranasally. That would give you the quickest vaccinal response.

The dose you use may not be the best option as there's a reasonable amount of resistance to it. Hard to know exactly what's best. Levamisole has the least risk of resistance but you would have to dose a second time at housing as it doesn't cover type 2 worms.

I house them for the first week until they settle down and try to let them out. If cases of pneumonia arise, they tend to happen a week after they land.

I give the wormer as often in the weeks after arriving they can be coughing and it's hard to tell if it's from hoose or the start of pneumonia, other than temperature checking them.

Is the day after arrival too early to give them the pneumonia vaccines, I've heard it argued that you should wait a few days for their immune system to pick back up after the stress of the mart.

You're never going to have the optimal option here. I reckon you need to vaccinate asap.

If the weather was reasonable and you didn't think they'd breakout, I'd be thinking about leaving them outside. Less confinement to spread virus and probably what they're used to.

Adam Grant

Advertisement