Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon River Cruising - Overnight at anchor

Options
  • 05-11-2023 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. Been hiring for a number of years and have been up and down the Shannon. If you're thinking of doing it and haven't yet, do it, you won't regret it.

Last time we went got chatting to a private owner in Mount Shannon who had spent the previous night at anchor just outside the harbour. It got me thinking that it would be great to moor somewhere away from a town with its light pollution and just take in the silence and stars.

So, is there anywhere safe to do this? Obviously we wouldn't have the charts he did and would only do it safely.

The only place I've seen that would work is the floating jetty off of Rindoon Castle (if you were to ignore the sign telling you not to do it).

Has anyone done this on a hire cruiser or their own boat and could give me advice?

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A friend of mine Pat Mcmanus and a few others did a book on it , well worth checking out.

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2021/05/07/documenting-the-hidden-gems-of-lough-ree/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

That's amazing, thanks Fergal

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just south of Athlone you have the jetty at Clonmacnoise which is fairly well isolated from the outside world…

And it’s perfectly fine to moor there for the night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you're hiring, the anchor set up is for emergencies only. I had visions of anchoring overnight in a secluded bay and then I looked closer at the gear. It wouldn't be any crack hauling the anchor and chain in by hand after it had dug in and settled overnight. I'm not even sure the boat has enough chain/scope to safely anchor. The guy who did the hand-over confirmed that hirers shouldn't pursue such notions!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Yeah, kinda thought as much. I've seen some of the biggest rental boats anchored fishing during the day so I'm sure it can be done.

Can and should of course, are 2 different things. 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement