Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from eye test?

Options
  • 05-11-2023 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

It’s been many years since I had an eye test - am squeamish with having my eyes touched - is it possible to just have a basic test using the eye chart and not use drops, pressure testing etc?

A colleague had a test in specsavers recently and mentioned that drops were inserted as well as a number of scans. Is this standard now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ADHD and Me

Yes. You ask them for the basics for a prescription. The pressure tests, scans and stuff are add-ons

Better to go to a local optician rather then a big brand for tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Specsavers is a franchise model, so would be "local" but the benefits of group buying

Then you have the independent owner operator style where the chances are that owner is the optician.

Tests are done in the same manner by both and a quick chat beforehand will sort out any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Pressure test is not an add on and is part of every examination. However, you can opt out of it.

Drops will need your permission anyway so again you can opt out but drops don't form part of a routine eye exam unless they are indicated for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Did you know that they can see into your brain when they shine the light on your pupils? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

They’ll do as little or as much as you want but they won’t be able to diagnose eye problems without the pressure test, which is just a puff of air.

They don’t usually use eye drops in a routine eye examination. They use dilating drops for examining in more detail for things like cataracts and they use a yellow fluorescent drop mostly for people who wear contact lenses to make sure your cornea (surface of your eye) is not becoming scratched or irritated by the lenses.

For a normal eye check up they’ll just look into your eye and with a light - usually you just look into a machine and the optician can view your eye.

They can take an image of your retina with a camera. There’s a bit of a flash and that’s all really.

The eye test is just looking at the chart and reading letters and colours sometimes too.

• Advertisement

The pressure check is for glaucoma, so that's the limiting factor for diagnosis however there are at least one other method of detecting glaucoma and in most places now at least two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FrankT.

yes just tell them what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

My advice to you is let them do all the tests and if they find something then lucky you.

In 2012 I found out I had an eye condition and was able to get the appropriate help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SamBlumenthal

While eye tests can vary based on the optometrist and the specific services offered by the eye care provider, it's generally possible to request a basic eye test that doesn't involve drops, pressure testing, or extensive scans. The basic eye test typically includes visual acuity testing using an eye chart to measure how well you can see at different distances.

Incorrect, if you find somewhere only carrying out visual acuity testing they are failing to fulfil their obligations and are in breach of a number of regulations. There is a requirement to check the anterior and posterior health of the eye. Whilst this can be carried out, in most cases, without drops there are indications for when it's advisable/necessary. However to reduce an eye test (examination) to visual acuity testing alone is not legal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement