Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stratosphere watch 2023-24

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I saw that post earlier. I am just about done with this winter. No doubt the winter killer will go at some point during spring when it's all too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You're telling me. As far as expectation vs reality ratio goes based on everything said by "experts" throughout this season (I don't call myself such but I am guilty of bringing up the teleconnections), I don't think you will find a more crushing winter than this one which I didn't think I'd be saying after experiencing 2018-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This (major) SSW event that is set to occur in the next 2 days looks to be déjà vu of the mid-January event just barely achieving the criteria for such and will be dependent on if the 24-hour period has a mean easterly (<0 m/s) at 10hPa 60N.

So two near failure major SSW events in one season. Not sure what has happened with the modelling this year.

EC46 suggests possibility of a very early final stratospheric warming event by the second week of March which would be over a month ahead of schedule. Effects of that are unknown, dependent on how dynamic it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Another reflective event- deja vu indeed

I bet the early final warming leads to extensive blocking in mid March when it's all too late. You can't deny Mother nature has a sense of humour! - It reminds me of the great dry spell we had during the first covid lockdown

• Advertisement
Advertisement