Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking numbers for loose shed

Options
  • 04-11-2023 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many weanings would you put in a loose shed, 21ft wide by 30ft long, all in closed including passage way, it’s a good airy shed, it will be cleaned out once a week, would you put in 25 230 kgs weanings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Not a hope, I'd say you'd be pushing it with 15, and even then you'd want plenty bedding or the place would be a slurry pool by the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

4.0m2 per animal over 275kg

2.4m2 - 3.0m2 for cattle under 275kg

These figures from the Teagasc beef wintering manual.

Your shed = 58m2. So between 19 and 24 at those weights. Probably closer to 19 as you weight is at the high end. Although when I worked out what I'm at it I think that is very very high stocking. You'll need to be needing very frequently - green is cleaning out weekly.

Currently have 9 in approx 48m2 inc. round feeder and it's more than enough. Waiting to get the culls moved on and then they can go onto a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭morphy87

Thanks lads, I usually put store cattle in this pen, 11 at 500kgs, I’d clean them out every Saturday and they would be perfect till Thursday and I would then bed them with two small square on Thursday and Friday and they would be very dry so I was hoping I could get a big number of weanings in this shed

You could keep more at the start of the winter but as they grow you'll find they need more room. I'd be sticking with lower numbers to begin with as it's hardship method on you for wintering cattle if they are creating too much of a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭minerleague

Does everyone with this type of shed clean it out that often? have shed on outfarm and keep adding bedding whole winter. After 3 weeks or so it only takes a very small amount to keep it right ( the stuff on the bottom starts to heat or something)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭amacca

Yep, same as that...deeper the bedding area the better...I clean out a strip in front of the passageway every 3/4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭massey 265

Have a 4 bay dry bedded one here behind slatted area since 20001.I find that a good foundation of bedding at the beginning is very important as it will create a great bed for topping up after that.I use about 12 inches of rushes that were baled after topping low land during the summer with a sprinkling of straw initally and then top up weekly by rolling out a straw bale while cattle are locked out on slats.Then when cattle are let out in spring iheap it all up in 1 bay and leave it there to rot til backend for spreading.It reduces alot as it ferments in the heap over summer and is mighty stuff for land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Theres a serious straw crisis brewing. There’s a couple of thousand acres of barley lost in Co. Wexford, I’d say 3 times that cut and straw wasn’t baled and a large uptake in the nonsensical chopping scheme.

you can’t it a price on a bale because there is non for sale.

Managed to pick up some earlier on, mainly last years barley straw. I bought 4 more rounds 2 weeks ago €40 each at the mart in Ennis. It is wheaten straw and is well weathered. None to be got yesterday as it was sold out. idk what I'm going to do later on in the winter, I will use the straw sparingly, I go into the sheds every day with a wheelbarrow and clean the shite off the straw. I've also stopped access for 2 of the cows as they are like 1100g slurry tanker spraying slurry everywhere.

The main problem is I've cattle in a month earlier than usual, I've loads of feeding, I got some of the best hay I've every saved this year, but I have not got enough bedding and it would be fair bad if I've to use the hay for bedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭morphy87

€40 a bale, I presume that was for square bales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I wouldn’t assume that at all. There’s no straw for sale anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

bought 3 dump trailer loads of mulch the other day for a dry shed. , a bay (16ft x 20ft is taking 2/3 of a load) so working out about €60 to bed them See how long i get out of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Suckler

Advertisement