Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting stone shed to home gym

Options
  • 04-11-2023 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all, new here so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm looking at buying a property and have some questions about what I’m permitted to do with it. It’s a mix of a standard plot with house on it, a field next to it which I believe is grazing land, and a section at the rear of the property which has some old stone sheds and a Dutch barn.

Id like to restore the sheds and turn one into a home gym and the other into a home office. I believe they would be considered outside of the curtalige of the house but it would still be my land. There’s a road up there and a path from the house, it’s pretty much part of the back garden and not too far from the house.

Would I be right in assuming this wouldn’t need planning as it’s for domestic use by the homeowner? I don’t think I’d need change of use as it’s not commercial or becoming a dwelling. I plan to run them off of solar so won’t be running electric up there.

Also, if I wanted to use the “grazing land” for raised beds for growing a few fruits and veggies would this be ok, with perhaps a small poly tunnel/greenhouse?

Ive read through the planning rules but I’m a little confused as it’s not a standard “shed in the back garden” situation.

The stone sheds are surrounded by trees and cannot be seen from the road and there are no neighbours, just a farmer who uses the surrounding fields for cattle.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

If you're out the country and not many houses around you work away as it's for own use. It's not like you'll be running a business out of your gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What area are they both and when were they built?

If they are on the same property as the house, they are within the curtilage, and would fall under exemptions (pending area). If if they are a separate site, then isn't a domestic site and may need planning, or some other means of making it part of the domestic site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

I can't see a requirement for planning permission unless you are changing the exterior (e.g. additional windows) or increasing the size.

If you are restoring, for example, the roof, you should use similar materials to those used previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As long as you don't need toilets or showers and aren't going to sleep in them I don't see a problem.

Not sure why you think the sheds are outside the curtilage. AFAIK "curtilage" is contiguous land which isn't the dwelling site itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's not what curtilage is. The curtilage of a dwelling is the entire site it sits on.

Adjacent contagious land would form a separate site. Eg farm land next to or opposite to a rural dwelling site is not part of the curtilage of the dwelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

What conditions are the sheds in? Do you plan to insulate? Lime render?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ah, I think I confused myself with Revenue terminology

Curtilage up to an area of one acre is also residential property. Curtilage includes gardens, paths, driveways, yards, garages or sheds used in conjunction with a house. It does not include the site of the house. If the curtilage exceeds one acre, the area in excess is non-residential property.

Source: https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/stamp-duty/property/residential-property.aspx

I assume Revenue are saying that for the purposes of taxation, curtilage not include the site of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stevej123

no roof, well collapsed tin roof. I’d look to re point the walls and render inside. Don’t really need to insulate further than that but perhaps the roof I will. I plan to replace that with tin, as that what was originally there and I like the aesthetic.

the Dutch barn is just the uprights with corrugated roof. I’d like to add sides to that at some point (possibly block and render or cladding) but not looked into that planning wise yet.

there is also a shed/barn made of stone attached to the side of the house. This has a new roof on and I’d like to either knock this through to properly join the main house or perhaps an annexe for elderly parents. This one I’d be insulating and adding services if I can.

Advertisement