Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV newbie advice - all replies welcome

Options
  • 02-11-2023 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am complete newbie to EVs but am in the lucky position of getting a lease car early next year (no fixed date). It can be a EV or a ICE car.

I have driven various BMW 3 series' for the last 15 years but the cost of a new one is prohibitive.

Additionally, I'm drawn to an EV for both practical (running costs) and environmental reasons. But I've never driven a EV.

The background is as follows:

• My max budget is €50k
    • I do about 25k kms pa and I'd be keeping the car for 4 years minimum
    • Most of my driving is under 50 kms per day but do a few runs to Cork from Co Louth about three times a year
    • No need for child seats etc; I'm way beyond that!
    • I can home charge
    • I'm on my own in the car 90% of the time but would want the 4/5 seat option when the (grown up) family travels together

The obvious options are the new Tesla Model 3 coming out early next year or Model Y (although the Y seems a bit big for me), the VW ID range or the Cupra Born.

I like the Polestar 2 but it now seems expensive compared to the new Tesla M3 and the new version is over budget. I am stuck at €50k max, not a penny over!

I'm not keen on a Nissan Leaf and the Kia EV6 is also over budget (but a lovely design).

Any recommendations? I see some horror stories about Tesla build quality and panel gaps but I follow the forums here and people seem generally pleased with them. The new design of the Tesla M3 is quite sporty and the reviews seem to place it as a driver's car although I don't expect it to match a BMW.

Any thoughts? All replies very much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Model 3. New model already viable to order for January delivery.

BYD Seal.

ID4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭eagerv

Model 3 or Seal probably nearest to what you are used to. Both similar enough in size to 3 Series, but both probably roomier. Tesla would win for me, due to Supercharging, but not essential for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Tesla m3 rwd and put balance from 50k into solar panels or the likes if you don't have them. M3 LR might be an option if you want more poke out of the car but rwd might be nippy enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Megane Etech possibly an alternative, I'm a newbie and like it a lot. went for base model with 60kw battery - but it is still a decent spec. at 50k budget you might even get to the top spec for that, but i don't know the current pricing

bigger inside than it looks, so will comfortably carry 5 adults. decent range (esp in eco mode), although i am seeing a drop now that it's getting colder obvs. very comfortable drive, steering is a little bit "light".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Megane looks great. I’ve never drove one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Many thanks for the replies folks. It looks like the Tesla is the first port of call to check out!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vimalandrew

I own a Toyota Bz4x and its costs 50k. I bought it for pcp and for 4 years, it total costs 56k. It gives a range of 400km. I expect they will expose the rest of the 8kw battery soon. Then may get a range of 440km. But in winter it will give only 60-70 percent of this range.

After some observations, my advice is to buy a Chinese car. BYD or MG. For sedans, BYD seal is a best option. For SUV, I would advice, BYD Atto. These cars costs 10k less than the brands like Tesla or VW or Toyota. Also I see that BYD Seal gives a range more than 600km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The Seal costs more than a Model 3. Mg would be cheaper though

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭yermanthere

Drive a Tesla, drive a byd. Then drive some mainstream EV brand from your local garages.

Pick the one that YOU like. Look at buttons Vs no buttons, shape of car, comfort of seats. Don't be too worried about charging. Your route from Louth to cork has probably the biggest supply of charging options in the country!

Most of the time you'll be charged at home with 350-450 km of range. I'd be cautious of vw and their 0% finance. I read lots of internet talk about software glitch, door handles, charge failure. In fairness to Toyota, their "out of date tech" seems to be plodding along fine.

@yermanthere , great advice. Thank you.

As an aside, would anyone know the average cost of charging from home on an overnight rate for a Tesla for 300kms a week?

I have a fuel allowance so might be able to squeeze a little more out of ny budget if I can highlight average cost savings.

I read somewhere that you would save, on average, 80% of the cost of diesel. Is that a fair assessment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

300km @ 16kwh/100km = 48kwh

Multiply that by your electricity rate e.g. €0.10*48=€4.80

Diesel @6L/100km =18L

€1.80 *18= €32.40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

my previous renault megane diesel was 5.5l / 100kms

so at current price of €1.83 a litre, that was €10.7 per 100kms

megane etech - 15.3kwh per 100kms

@ 30c a kwh flogas rate, that's €4.59 per 100kms.

(Unkel or anyone with better smart or d/n plans will obviously be paying less but I'm stuck on a flat rate until i see what the new electricity rates/plans are later this month)

if i've got the maths wrong on this, feel free to correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've driven 3 and 5 series for as long as you and most recently an Audi A6 and I don't regret moving into a cupra born at all. You mentioned drivers car and it's probably recognised as good a drivers car in the current EVs available.

There's bigger and plusher available for 50k but not by much.

I'd love something like the Skoda superb if it came in EV. The premium brands are just gone stupid prices now in EV for the saloon models. VW ID7 may be my next car.

Thanks Buddy.

The Tesla M3 or the Seal would seem to be the nearest to a 3 or an A4.

I like the look of the Cupra and as someone who drove Mark III & IV GTis in my 30s, the Cupra looks the nearest thing to that type of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭eagerv

Go and drive as many as possible, they are all have their plusses and negatives. The ID.3 is basically the same as the Born, perhaps more plentiful if going second hand. Another very practical car is the Ioniq 5, personally not mad on the UI but the missus loves her one. More like a retro large golf than a high yoke. Also the Ioniq 6 if you prefer the saloon look, but it is fairly pricey.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The trip to Cork that you’ll do the odd time means the Tesla is a no brainer with the Supercharger network…

At a Tesla Supercharger (in a Tesla), you park, plug in, and charging starts immediately… No cards, no apps, no fcuking around…. And you’ll charge faster than most other EV’s on the road (that aren’t Tesla’s)…

Test drive a Model 3 and you’ll be sold… everything else will become irrelevant.

I had never driven an EV before, and I ordered one just after sitting in one for 10 minutes in the showroom.. 3.5 years later and absolutely zero regrets.

Thanks Andy, that's quite a testimonial!

Advertisement