If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dali 5.1.2 speaker package & av amp

Options
  • 01-11-2023 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm currently doing a large renovation and have the opportunity to create a "cinema" room. The room itself is not huge - 5m x 3m, with lots of openings :/ The plan is for the TV to be against one of the long walls, the couch directly opposite against the wall. I've recently bought (from you guys, thank you!) a 65" LG G2 TV to mount on the TV wall (hopefully the 2.4m viewing distance wont make the screen too overwhelming 😬) and I am looking for a decent, and decently priced, 5.1.2 system (< 3K, but 2K is closer to where I'd like to be). I've a Denon amp, a set of Dali Spektor 2 speakers and a Rega P1 from yourselves in another room which I'm really happy with so was thinking of perhaps sticking with Dali based on my positive experience to date.

Could you suggest a decent setup that would include:

• 2 x floor standing (I had been looking at the Oberon 5).
    • 1 x centre (Seems like Vokal is the way to go here)
    • 2 x on-wall surrounds (Dali Oberon on-wall, but open to alternatives). Due to the 3m size, the couch really needs to go against the wall so I think surrounds behind the couch wont really work, so on-wall seems to be the best option to the left/right of the coutch. The distance between edge of couch and wall will be about 1m either side)
    • 1 x sub
    • 2 x in-ceiling speakers for Atmos (wiring for these now, but may have to hold off depending on budget)
    • An A/V amp to connect to TV and power it all. Peripherals include Skybox, Xbox, NAS.
    Post edited by Grover81 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grover81

Sketch of the room layout :)

• Company Representative Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for the post Grover81,

The Dalis are an amazing speaker and they do make some fantastic home cinema speakers, especially in the Oberon range.

For your fronts I would definitely recommend the Oberon 5s. The Oberon Vokal Centre would be the best match for those as well. For the rears I actually have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze FX which are dipole rears and have a wider spread of sound. They're a bit deeper than the Dali Oberon On Walls but they can be wall mounted and would be better when mounted in a corner:

For the In Ceilings I would recommend the Monitor Audio C180s which are one of the better mid range in ceilings (we have a pair in our dem room and they match well with a lot of different speaker systems:

Adding in a sub I do have the Dali E9F which would beef up the Dali front section.

Finally for the amp - the best starting point would be the Denon AVRX2800 which has Atmos via 5.1.2 as well as 8K passthrough, HDMI 2.1 and wifi streaming. It ticks a lot of boxes but if you're looking for an amp with great features but a bit of extra power the Denon AVRX3800 would be the way to go. It's just a clearer and more detailed sound over the 2800:

Let me know what you think of these options and I can put a good price together for you for the full system!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grover81

This looks like a great setup - I had not consider the idea of mixing speaker brands, but if you're confident the monitor audio will couple well with the Dali Oberon's then I'd go with that option (walnut finish would be my preference for the Dali speakers & white for the bronze fx's). With the room configuration, the Bronze FX seem like they might work better too.

As for the amp I'd opt to go with the more wallet-friendly Denon AVRX2800. Would you be able to send me a quote for the system?

Can this be controlled via app or is it just via the physical remote? In an ideal world Id have one amp that would run both the 5.1.2 and the stereo for the Rega turntable which is in the back room, but I imagine running phono cables for a length of approx 5-6 meters between rooms probably isn't a good idea!

• Company Representative Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for getting back to me Grober81.

I can do the following pricing on that system:

Denon AVRX2800 - £569/699 euro

Dali Oberon 5 Walnut - £739/849 euro

Dali Oberon Vokal Walnut - £349/410 euro

Dali E9F Black - £469/569 euro

Monitor Audio Bronze FX White - £395/455 euro

Monitor Audio C180 - £129/149 euro each

Total:£2779/3280 euro including delivery

If you download the Heos app you can have basic controls such as volume and source control via the app but there is a lot more functionality via the remote. The other benefit of the Heos app is you could add a second Denon amp that's capable of Heos into the room with the Rega turntable and link them both together however you would need to have separate speakers on the second amp. The Denon AVRX2800 has a built in phono stage so you can add the Rega to it but I wouldn't recommend running phono cables longer than a couple of meters.

Let me know what you think and if you have any other questions about the amp please let me know!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.