Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT for car declared off the road

Options
  • 01-11-2023 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if you are able to book a NCT for a car that is declared off the road? The car will be off the road when booking and when doing the test.

Seen it online that you can drive on the road without it taxed if you are driving to a NCT booking but i cant find that stated on the NCT's own FAQ.

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No if its declared of the road then you cannot use it on a public road unless its undeclared off the road and tax paid etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tantalum73

That is correct you can drive the vehicle which is declared off the road to the NCT and also to a garage for NCT repairs . Whether the car is declared off the road or not does not matter to the NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭LynchyBai

Surely its one or the other here. Why would you tax it in order to just declare it off the road straight away. Whole idea of declaring it off the road is so it doesn't get back taxed once I want to tax it again in the future.

it says that once its transferred to the new owner I have 21 days to declare it off the road. I think other wise it would need to be taxed before i can declare it if i let it run past that 21 day period im guessing that's what you were referring to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry just looked it up and came across this:

A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases:

• to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
    • to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.

I was fairly sure you werent allowed a few years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭LynchyBai

Thanks for the info, Now im going to throw in a bit of a weird one.

Lets say the car is in my Dad's name for example. But I am allowed to drive any other car as i have a "Third party Extension" on my current policy for my own car. The terms of this is that the Vehicle im driving (The one in dads name) has to have a Valid NCT & Taxed but does not need its own policy at all as mine covers me as long as im driving it.

Now, What happens where using the same situation, I am to drive "Dads" car which is declared off the road to a NCT appointment. Going by the car,

• Does not have a Valid NCT (one booked/Driving to one)
    • and does not have Tax (Declared off the road)

Is my third party extension still valid under the terms that the (Declared car) falls under if that makes sense.

Im not trying to cheat a system or anything just generally curious how far I would be covered.

• Advertisement

Honestly I would just check that one out with your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

TA

Post edited by Viscount Aggro on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

By the specific exclusions mentioned, you are not covered.

If they said you simply had to be compliant with law, you could argue that driving to centre without test is OK and you are therefore covered but they specifically state that can mist have valid test and tax in order for them to allow extension cover.

As a business, they would be within their rights to say that they require you to wear a pink suit in order to avail of their driving extension so imo if you are not satisfying THEIR conditions, you are not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Buffman

NCT don't care about tax status if that's what you're asking.

It's very obvious from the conditions listed in your own post that you wouldn't be covered for insurance under those circumstances, you're literally not meeting any of those NCT/tax conditions you listed.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭M3CS

What has that got to do with this thread? The OP is asking whether they can drive a car that's been declared off the road, not one that doesn't have a valid NCT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement