Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steeltech Shed

Options
  • 01-11-2023 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

I'm getting a steeltech shed installed soon, but I'm currently getting a Sparks to pull an SWA cable 10mm from my main fuseboard, my major concern is when the consumer unit is installed, since the shed is a composite Steeltech shed I'm not sure how the electrics should be mounted, I've looked into Dado compartment trunking and it stuff costs a small fortune.

Would love some advice on alternative methods of surface mounting all the cables sockets / switches to the interier walls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

I'd say email Steeltech sheds - could be the best bet. Most people would have some electrical feed in their sheds. They would be well placed to advise

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Just1ce4all

I'll ask them in the am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just get a sparks to install a sub-board and he'll earth the shed and install sockets while he's at it. it's not a major job once the SWA is installed. It will need an MCB at the main board though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I ply lined my shed but same principle applies, I have a sub board in the shed, fed with armoured cable run in a duct back to house. All socket outlets and lighting in the shed is run in 20mm pvc conduit, all conduit is surface mounted using pvc push in clips, all outlets and fittings are surface mounted. I did all the conduit myself, using bending spring, junction boxes, access elbows etc and it a very simple, tidy and cost effective solution once you've discussed and agreed the layout with your electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Just1ce4all

I've the layout of the SWA sorted, my concern is the internal wiring, as the shed is going used as an home office, so I want it to look tidy and clean, but the price of compartment dado trunking is insane, so I'm looking for a more cost effect trunking solution,

Can you tell me how you plylined your shed? did you just use self tappers to the steel struts and call it a day or insulate between? as I'm looking to try and do the same as its a composit shed so its already insulated but not sure if it will be enough during the winter etc.

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ive a metal shed from C&S, its also composite panels. I have some LED battens and multiple sockets installed and its super neat.

The frame of the shed is like a U shape beams so cabling is tucked inside them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've posted details on how I did it years ago, but not easy find it now! In simple terms, I didn't want to pepper the shed with holes from fixings so I used rough sawn battens to batten out the inside of the shed, with battens at 600mm centres vertically. These battens were fixed to the galv. frame members using panel adhesive and the minimum number of tek screws. I then lined the shed with 12mm shuttering ply (eliotis pine), screw fixed. I did put additional grounds behind the ply in certain locations to take heavier items. I didn't put additional insulation behind the ply, no real need and I was worried about interstitial condensation. After that it was easy enough to run the electric first fix and get my electrician to wire it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Are you putting plasterboard on the inside or just leaving it shed like?

If you are leaving it shed like and want to do it on the cheap, just get a couple of sheets of 12.5mm OSB and rip them into 200mm high lengths and self tapper them on to the uprights. You can self tapper on a square where the fuseboard to mount it.

You can then wire and clip nhxmh-j along the back of the timber and into the back of the sockets that you can drill on to the lengths of OSB

Advertisement