Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcondra to Grand Canal is it usable?

Options
  • 01-11-2023 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Mainly commute using bus but going to be going cross-city a bit more soon. Is it feasible to use Drumcondra to Grand Canal to shorten the cross city journey? According to the TFI app there seem to be regular trains and the journey is 15 mins. Anyone using this or have any comments? I have no clue about using train/dart atm. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Trampas

Dublin bikes or equivalent not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

It would really depend on what your overall starting and finishing points on the journey are. Just because the Drumcondra/Grand Canal section is around 15' by train, if you need to get yet another bus from GCD onwards then the point might be moot as you might be adding twice as much transfer time as simply getting from bus A to bus B in the city centre, and the entire exercise won't be worth as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Maybe from CGD on but not cross city. I cycle enough around my local area to know it’s not for me. Too dangerous and aggressive. (Me 😀)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

I suppose the only way to know is try the various options. What appeals to me is the lack of traffic but I guess with irish rail there could be delays for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

What did google maps say. Stick both eircodes in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

15 mins if you get the google train which goes direct. Other trains from Drumcondra would need a change to Dart at Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I would imagine the trains coming into Drumcondra from Maynooth area would be fairly wedged if you are talking early morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I use the Hazelhatch-PPT train which arrives in Drumcondra on the way the Grand Canal (GCD). It's usually rammed with the majority getting off at Connolly, so you would pick up a seat there. There is usually a bit of waiting to enter Connolly, which might prolong the journey.

Going home should be fine, first stop GCD, guaranteed seat and a very comfortable train.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Depending on service, some terminate in Connolly, rather than run to Pearse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is this Drumcondra to Grand Canal dock? If so, just do it by Dublin Bike. 15 mins. You'll be able to do it along the canal when the work is finished for most of the way and then have protected cycle lane right until you get there.

Only part that's problematic presently on road is between summerhill and 5 lamps, other than it's fairly grand,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They usually drop about 80-100 passengers at Drumcondra so there's space to go in

Advertisement