Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin abusing me

Options
  • 31-10-2023 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭

Changed my phone recently and since then, maybe it's a new version of Connect or something but it just keeps acting the pr1ck at me saying my training is unproductive!!!😭

I'm like fcuk you dude, season is over, it's winter training. I've done 400km the last 4 days and it's still unimpressed. 😁

What's the training status based on anyway does anyone know??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

What Other Data Impacts My Training Status?

VO2 Max is required in order to get a Training Status, however the calculation utilizes several dimensions of your personal physiology. This includes changes to the following:

Heat and Altitude Performance Acclimationc

Aute Load

HRV Status

Any changes in your longer-term training load can also help you improve your training decisions. For more information on how Training Status works, go to garmin.com/performance-data/running

That's from the Garmin website. Don't know if it makes it any clearer, to be honest. It seems to be an amalgamation of other individual data sets, plus whether your training has been too focused on one particular area.

For what it's worth, my Epix is telling me the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Have a look at your load focus and see where you’re lacking. If you’re taking the old school approach to winter training of high volume low intensity it’s probably suggesting you add a bit of threshold or vo2max to keep you sharp.

Which garmin do you have? If you follow the suggested daily workouts it’ll keep your training status productive.

Or you could just hide it from your home screen and ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Ha ha. I get the same thing afte4 a ride every so often and it really is very fcuking annoying. I remember reading somewhere before that it was related to the condition message you get af35r about 15 min from the start of a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

God above. The way things are going I’m surprised they haven’t been sued for negatively affecting mental wellbeing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just doing a load of work doesn't necessarily mean you will get any benefit from it.

Based on your comment on doing a lot of KM's, I assume you're doing a lot of one type of training, hence why it's considered unproductive.

You need to have balanced training to be productive, use tools like training load on garmin to help you balance your training between easy, tempo and intervals and don't forget to take a rest day :)

You may not feel "tired" but your HR and other factors really do give it away :)

Happy Riding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I thought it might be linked to the new download on the new device or something. I haven't changed my training, I just changed my phone.

I get that 15 minutes in performance indicator notification as well and I'm only getting a "fair" score on that. Be nice to get a bit if praise like. We used to get on really well, me and my Garmin 😂

I ignore my Garmin when it gives out to me. When I go for a run with my wife, it tells me I'm not working hard enough. How do you explain no drop group runs to Garmin🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'm doing a lot of my training at the minute with Trainerroad on the indoor trainer, and despite it syncing to Connect it's hit or miss whether any particular session gets noticed by the Garmin training status - sometimes it's ignored, sometimes it tells me I'm "detraining", occasionally it looks like it does something sensible with it. It's forever telling me I'm missing "low aerobic". I did try researching ways and means of getting it to sync properly, and there's all sorts of guff about turning on you Garmin head unit after, letting it sync the data at which point it'll do the training status calculations and push it back out, but meh, life's too short.

If they can do these calculations on some matchbox sized computer whose main functions are to record data, then they can do it on the cloud much more efficiently. They just won't - presumably so they can shift more Edge/Fenix/Forerunners to satisfy our need to look at numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Nothing beats getting up every morning with my Garmin watch telling me 'you didn't sleep enough'.

Pure first world problems in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ah I wouldn't play the blindest bit of attention to that.

Finished and IronMan and unproductive, sat on my hole for 3 weeks and I was peaking 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's spot on at knowing when you've had even a small number of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm always amazed at how much your HRV gets knocked around by alcohol.

What are you using to measure the HRV?

Just Googled that and saw the price😳. Nope. I won't be going down that road.

The Garmin Forerunner 255 measures HRV. Think it can be got for about 275 quid. Still not cheap, but a damn sight better than the Epix 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm not much of a sleeper. When I used to monitor mine it averaged about 4 hours per night. I'm always in awe of those people who can get 8 hours sleep. I'd have bed sores if I spent that long in the cot.

I hear people saying stuff like that about their sleep all the time. As someone who gets 7-8 hours of sleep most nights (and a couch nap during the day if I can squeeze it in), I've often wondered how 4 hours a night works.

Do you go to bed at, say, 10.30, and then you're up and awake at 2.30? Or if you're up for 7 in the morning, do you not go to bed until until 3am? Or do you go to bed and get up at relatively normal times, but you're just awake in the bed for half the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Usually asleep by 12.30am and very rarely asleep after 5am with periods of being awake during the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I’d survive approximately 72 hours of that.

Usually in bed by 10 and wake up around 7 although my sleep quality is questionable

I remember sleeping like that when our eldest was a baby. It wasn't by choice 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How I'm sleeping at the moment. It's questionable how productive I am in work currently

Advertisement