Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Beginner - Workout Check

Options
  • 31-10-2023 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm not long in the gym (currently week 9) but enjoying it a lot. At the start, I was just interested in getting going and into a habit, so arbitrarily picked a 4 week beginner workout (this one - https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workout-plan/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-plan/) to get going that was split as follows:

Week 1: Full body workouts

Week 2: Upper/Lower body split

Week 3: Pushing/pulling/legs split

Week 4: Isolated muscles each day

After 4 weeks, I continued with the 4th week routine, but was finding it was probably complete overkill for where I was so went back to Upper/Lower body split 4 times per week. I've been doing this for about 5 weeks now and still enjoying it, but think it's as good a time as any to check in and see if I'm as well continuing as I am or if I'd benefit from something different now that I have a good routine going.

Here's what I'm doing each upper body day:

• Smith Machine Bench Press
    • Barbell Row
    • Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press
    • Pec Dec
    • Lat Pull Down
    • Side Lateral Raise
    • Cable Tricep Extensions
    • Bicep Curls

And here's what I'm doing on lower body days:

• Smith Machine Squats
    • Deadlifts
    • Leg Extensions
    • Leg Curl
    • Calf raises
    • Seated Calf Raises
    • Core exercises (Crunches, ab wheel etc)

Other information:

• I train after the school run and before work for 40 mins. Can't do longer than this.
    • Currently training 4 days per week (Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri), but could do any variation of 3/4/5 - weekdays only.
    • Gym is a small local community centre type setup, so no benches - only smith machine for squats/bench etc. - have barbells up to 50kg which I've been using for rows and deadlifts up to now. Also dumbells up to about 35kg each available.
    • I'm interested in just getting in better shape and looking better.
    • I'm about 5"9' and 75kg
    • I've almost exclusively been doing 3x10 for each exercise.

So I guess my questions are:

1. How does the above routine look?
    2. Is it worth continuing with this or is there a clearly better routine that's be worth changing to that'd be more benefit?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think it's admirable that you tried a few splits, and identified that upper/lower fits well with your needs. Four times a week, particularly if you're consistent, is more than enough.

Before I comment on your program, you might be interested in this thread, which gives a decent overview of many well-proven "classic" programs: Beginner Strength Programmes — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin If you do want to move onto something structured, and that a lot of people before you have used, there are some good options here.

One thing that jumps out at me is that if you are limited to barbells with a max of 50kg then that probably is an issue, even at a bodyweight of 75kg. For most compound lifts (Bench, bent over row, squat, deadlift, RDL etc) 50kg is going to be too light for you soon, if it isn't already, on some movements, even when performing sets of 10. For some of the programs referred to above, which are predominantly biased towards free weights, that would be a problem.

However, there's nothing wrong with using machines if you have them, in fact in some instances they're preferable.

Some comments on your upper and lower days, which I gather are mostly 3x10.

Not sure if you're doing the 3x10 in ascending weight, or same weight across. I'm assuming you're performing a couple of warm-up sets for each movement early in the workout and then your 3 work sets. Make sure you're increasing weight, or performing an extra couple of reps, as often as you can, progressive overload is key.

With the number of movements, and sets, this workout would take me over an hour to do, assuming I rested 1.5-2 minutes between sets. But that's the downside to upper/lower if you incorporate a lot of movements.

• Smith Machine Bench Press
    • Barbell Row
    • Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press
    • Pec Dec
    • Lat Pull Down
    • Side Lateral Raise
    • Cable Tricep Extensions
    • Bicep Curls

The only thing I'd consider ditching is the pec dec. Same potentially applies to the side laterals. If time isn't an issue, you could keep them.

You could also potentially superset some or all of these movements - latter half particularly.

• Smith Machine Squats
    • Deadlifts
    • Leg Extensions
    • Leg Curl
    • Calf raises
    • Seated Calf Raises
    • Core exercises (Crunches, ab wheel etc)

I would warm-up, then would personally do the isolation stuff first - leg curl an leg extensions - to get a bit of a pump going, and then tackle the smith machine squats. I would ditch the deadlifts in favour of romanian deadlifts - not sure if you can use the smith machine for these tbh, but the 50kg barbells might be too light soon, if they aren't already.

I'd consider throwing in one unilateral movement here, meaning dumbbell split squats or reverse dumbbell lunges, or a set of walking dumbell lunges.

I would just cut the calf raises to standing calf raises in the smith machine, off a plate, and pause in the lowered position to remove the stretch reflex.

But overall, what you're doing is more than fine, in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Really appreciate the detailed response. I'll have a good read through the thread on common strength programs and see if there's something in there that takes my fancy. I had strayed a little away from them for the same reasons - they're all quite focused on big compound lifts and I'm limited barbell wise.

On the 50kg limitation, I'm just gone passed it on the compound lifts I was using it (bent over row, deadlift) and the others (bench, squatting) I've always done on the Smith machine as there are no squat/bench racks etc to use the barbells with. It's not a limitation that will be solved in any case, so I'll be limited to Smith machine versions of whatever I can do.

I'm not actually doing specific warmup sets per exercise - just same weight across 3 sets. I've been doing a general warmup at the beginning (some rowing on a rowing machine and general stretching of whatever I'll be covering, maybe some pushups if benching, bodyweight squats if squatting etc) and then straight into the routines above. I keep notes for every session and move up in weight whenever I can comfortably do 3 sets.

That's all great feedback on the specific routine - I do superset the latter exercises to save some time, and I do find myself short on time, particularly on the upper body day. I usually squat/deadlift 1st on the lower body day and it sounds like a good suggestion to switch that to the isolation exercises 1st. I usually do the calf raises with a dumbbell from a step. I have a little time to play with on lower body days, so will definitely work in a unilateral movement.

I really appreciate the thought you've put into that - thank you. I'll check out that link above also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

There are people who present it as a matter of either free weights or machines being 'better', but there are pros and cons to both. I wouldn't be put off by having to use the smith machine, if that's what you have.

If you don't have a squat rack or ability to set up a way to do barbell work off safety pins, then I suspect some or all of the programs in the thread I linked to will not be an option for you.

Regarding warm-ups and your work sets ... If you can go straight into your 3 sets, it's probably an indication that your working weight is a bit light. Your work sets, while do-able, should be challenging enough that you would benefit from / require a lighter warm-up set to get you prepared. For something like your smith machine squats, in particular, I would expect 2-3 warm-up sets.

The ordering of the lower body exercises is preference, to some extent. Arguably people will say you'd do the "biggest bang" movement first, and just warm up appropriately for it, but in recent years there are people who have suggested that reverse ordering and sticking some isolation or assistance work in first can reduce likelihood of injury and make you feel more prepared to really work hard on a set. But I have done it both ways.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would swap out the smiths machine for dumbbell bench. And use DBs for squats too. Goblet, moving to a split or single leg variation as you get stronger.

There’s nothing wrong with machines generally, but the smith forces you to follow a unnatural car path. The above are better imo.

I've done 2 sessions since that so have had a little time to try things out. Did isolation exercises 1st and 2 warm up sets for squats and all was well - will stick with it for a week or 2 and see how it goes. I was of the "big bang exercises 1st" mind too, but always happy to try something out - thanks.

That might be a good idea - I wonder would it be any harm varying them across the week. I understand the unnatural path isn't ideal on a Smith machine, but I enjoy benching/squatting etc on it too. Wonder would it be any harm using smith machine Monday/Tuesday and DBs Thursday Friday to keep it mixed up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Using both smith and DBs would do no harm

I might try that from next week - I was looking for some variation between the 2 upper and 2 lower body days anyway, so that suits.

Just a quick update to say the advice here has been super. Biggest changes I've made have been:

• Reduced the number of exercises, and started doing warm up sets for the bigger lifts. I could be wrong, but my feeling is that this has helped increase weights lifted the most.
    • Mixing up alternating days e.g. smith machine chest press on upper body day 1 and dumbbell chest press on day 2 etc. Same with smith machine squats vs goblet squats etc. Have maxed out dumbbells for goblet squats so need to start look at 1 leg versions.
    • Adding in unilateral movements on leg days.

I've recently stopped using leg extension/leg curl machine too to make sure I've time for everything else. Just a message to say thanks again is all!

Advertisement