Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric vehicle charging - Belfast

Options
  • 31-10-2023 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have an EV and have only ever charged at home, heading up to NI (Belfast) and expect I will need to charge using the public infrastructure at some point. I've googled the charger infrastructure up there and there seems to be quite a few options but what I don't know is whether some of these require pre-registration or say a UK number if an app needs to be installed in order to get charging. I did see there are some at the Victoria Square car park so I could swing in there and park up/charge, anyone been up there recently and get on ok? Car is an ID4 btw.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Hi, Its probably a good plan to download the ESB app and Easygo, Weev is also useful in the North as well.

Ionity is another good one to have to hand.

Do you have a better route planner (ABRP) app yet? Its very handy to plan out trips and will suggest chargers for you based on your route and vehicle. It can take some of the "charger anxiety" out of a trip for you. Its free and only takes a few minutes to set up so well worth a look.

Enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭robbe

Hi - thanks for the steer....I have the ESB app but none of the others.....I'll download - route planner seems like a good idea, so far I've only googled where I am likely to be parking or places I'm familiar with so that will be useful! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Good idea, its handy to have a backup in mind in case you get there and the spots are taken. Another one to look at is Zapmap , you plug in a destination, it will show you chargers in the area, I dont know if it does route planning but likey the ID4 will take you to Belfast in one charge (not sure where your coming from ofc but assuming Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭eagerv

Haven't been up for 6 months or so, but never found any problems even before I had use of Tesla Superchargers. All the advice so far given is useful, also afaik many of the newer sites can be operated by Credit Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭dsandson

Things have improved a lot up here since ESB switched on pay to charge. ESB are still the biggest network, but now have a very small proportion of the DC chargers. If you're willing to wait with the car then the Maxol 6 bay hub at Kinnegar beside the city airport is excellent, all chargers are chip and pin, no app needed.

Weev are very reliable, although not the fastest speeds. ESB have a few AC chargers on the streets and car parks, I think on street parking is free while you charge but the parking wardens know to look for when your car has stopped charging. Use the JustPark app to pay for street parking if you dont have change.

Regarding the multi-story car parks, the Castlecourt seems unreliable for charging. Victoria Square Q-Park has Blink AC chargers but they're dear. The Grosvenor Road multistorey has ChargePoint chargers, its a good spot. The small Hope Street car park behind the Great Victoria St train station is a good one, ESB AC and 2 marked bays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭crl84

Check Plugshare and ZapMap apps to see the chargers near where you'll be.

As mentioned, ESB have lots around NI, and there's various other providers, who should mostly be listed between Plugshare/Zapmap (I've found a few up there on the ESB app that aren't on Plugshare, but are on ZapMap, and vice-versa).

If you're travelling on the M1, there's also Applegreen just south of the border at Castlebellingham service station, and Ionity a bit further south, at City North. You might be OK to get back to them on your return leg without needing to charge?

Advertisement