Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garri na Salli, Letteragh Road, Galway

Options
  • 31-10-2023 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All. Myself and my wife are looking into a property at this new development site which is built by Burkeway homes. We are thinking of placing a deposit to secure a home. We are both from out of town and the area seems nice but we are looking for advice on what this area is like in general and what it is like to live here? I would appreciate any open feedback. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

First consideration should be access to your places of work. Road/Bus network in the area is not the best, and if ye work on the other side of the river, you have a "fun" commute, and any shopping would involve a drive somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭39steps

Area is lovely, but you will need a car as there is no bus service. Nearest bus is half mile walk on narrow Letteragh road that only has occasional footpaths. Journeys to creche, school, college, beach, pitches, shopping all require a car. If you work on the east side of the city, commuting will be a nightmare unless you start work before 7.45 am.

Burkeway has built a lot of new apartments and houses in the area, it would be interesting to see what it's like living there.

Good luck and welcome to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MMTheFanMan

Thanks a million folks for the feedback. Alot there to digest especially in regards to the traffic and the need for a car in the area.

Hopefully with the build up of the area it would make sense to get a bus service to run on the road. But time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

" ... it would make sense"

Ahh, the optimism!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭39steps

Optimismm indeed.

The Letteragh Road is a narrow 'country road' with no road markings or footpaths, the road barely accommodates cars meeting. Usual Galway problem that housing is developed without infrastructure ie public transport, community facilities, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ironically, they would need to upgrade the roads before they put in a Bus service. Roads are narrow and few (if any) footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The Developer do good builds but our City Council are very very poor at getting ahead of the planning permissions that they issue. They don't seem to be able or willing to put in basic road services prior to NEW Builds.

A lot of car's are rat running in the mornings from North West of Garraí na Sailí; it does not suffer to the same extent in the evenings outbound.

Nearest Bus stop is for the #404 which is a 10-15min walk to Circular Road opposite Corrach Bui at Westside pitches but the bigger issue than length of walk is that there are no footpaths at the Circular Road/Letteragh Road junction which is a very busy intersection with poor sight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MMTheFanMan

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Honestly the location is excellent. Show me a development of new houses in Galway closer to the centre. Knocknacarra new builds are at least 2k further away from the city and there is nothing closer on the east side. People above have made the legitimate point of how ineffective the council are given lack of road and footpath upgrades. Burkeway make good homes, no issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I agree with GBXI, it is a good location. I looked into buying here about 2 years ago but the slowness and poor planning record of the City Council had me very wary. They have a terrible record of doing the roads and footpaths, always post Development and takes year after. Just look at how residents in Cnoc an Oir have had to wait decades for the Circular Road junction to have footpaths plus there are similar tales from area's of the City like this where Development has occurred. Put me off in the end + the distance from public transport was also a factor for us. On the plus side now though - there are proposals in the Bus Connects to have a route that would use Bothair Diarmuida and go via Bun an Chnoic(yes the estate name does not make any sense as Gaeilge) --> Cnoc an Óir. A Bus Gate will be built where the current cycle /pedestrian access is between the two estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

Agree with all the above points what_traffic.

The bus connects plan would make public transport somewhat better, but as always the question is when.

At least from the point of view of footpaths, things are improving up there. The road has been widened as far as the entrance to Garraí na Sailí which helps. Once the estate closest to Circular Road is completed (which is going very very slowly) and the footpaths there are completed things will be better again.

And there are plans to demolish the house that's jutting out into the road.

So access and transport should improve over time. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement