Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning of end for dog ownership.

Options
  • 30-10-2023 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

As part of a conspiracy that was going around the last few years, that you will own nothing and be happy after 2030, included dog ownership.

Rising human populations will mean more dogs, and more meat production for dog food and more health issues because of dog fouling.

It appears that it is finally about to be challenged. Look out for an increasing amount of articles on Bauer media setting the tone against dog ownership.

For a lot of dog owners, treat them well as its likely the last dog you will own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Where did the “you will own nothing and be happy “ conspiracy originate?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nonsense.

And you think Bauer Media are leading the conspiracy theories??

Yes, you will hear more dog stories on the media, but it'll tend to be about dangerous dogs mauling humans. As long as that continues to happen, the media will cover it. And rightly so.

You might see a campaign to rid the world of dangerous dogs, but it's not a conspiracy. There will still be plenty of dogs as pets for many years to come, don't panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It comes from the whole WEF control everything conspiracy theory popularised by Alex Jones et al. It's mostly just the modern version of the Agenda 21 stuff when that didn't result in a global take over in 2021.

Like with Agenda 21, it originates from taking a very innocuous article and deciding that it's a confession about a giant global conspiracy. In the case of the WEF thing, it comes from an article they posted on one of their websites that had that phrase as a line. (Though a lot of it came from a tweet they put out with just that line, with conspiracy theorists not needing anything more or bothering to look deeper.) The article was a bit of a fanciful sci fi thing where the author (some Dutch minister or something) was speculating what life would be like in 2030 if certain economic trends continued. Specifically it talked about how people would move more towards cities and renting would extend to things like cars.

The article does not portray this as either a good thing or a bad thing, and after conspiracy theorists freaked out about it, it added a disclaimer stating that much and that the speculative future written about wasn't an aim or goal of the WEF. It was just a fluff think piece.

But in addition to that, conspiracy theorists just get things wrong about the article entirely. It doesn't say anything about ownership being forbidden. (It says the exact opposite.)

The article has since been taken down cause it was probably more of a headache than it was worth.

Conspiracy theorists still claim that this is the WEF's master plan however, and that they aren't hiding this plan. But weirdly, they can't seem to point to any other statements or indications from the WEF that state they plan on outlawing private ownership in less than 6 years.

We just get that one headline repeated over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Own nothing?

If anything, more and more crap is being pushed on us to own. Consumerism is the new religion.

Didn’t it actually originate with an employee who was part of a survey who were asked about what they thought the future would be like?

I was wondering what the OP would give as a source.

Conspiracy theories should be re-branded as “you will know nothing and be happy”.

• Advertisement

From this lady according to wiki:

I think it's pretty interesting how the WEF has suddenly become the big bad of the conspiracy world in the last few years based pretty much entirely off this one phrase.

It was all IMF and the Bilderburgs etc pre covid and no one ever mentioned these guys.

Hasn’t Blackrock and Blackstone become the new bogeymen?

Maybe since the WEF have stopped being so trendy to pin stuff on. But these guys don't have a snappy catchphrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Putting dog **** in plastic bags in bins to be collected and dumped in land fill is a bit mad. There has to be a more environmentally friendly way. Or maybe there are just too many dogs (and cats) ? (Speaking as someone who owns/owned dogs/cats)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,751 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There an environmental impact with pet ownership. Tons of meat going into foods, pollution from to animal waste getting into watercourses, predation of wild animals, plastics going into toys and accessories. Even the biodegradable bags won't break down in landfill. One estimate had it that one medium sized dog has a carbon footprint of an SUV.

There's too many animals and far far too many unwanted animals.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,005 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah, because feral dogs don't breed.... The simply vanish away from existence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

F##k that. I'll give up all my other material processions but I will always have my dogs. I don't own them ....they are my family

• Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If it wasn't already obvious, to break this down:

Someone on the internet invented a conspiracy based on a retweet of a fictional essay written by a Danish MP

That conspiracy sprouted legs and became a thing among the conspiracy community

Using that false info as a "foundation", someone else on the internet has now created a story that we won't be able to own dogs in the future. To make that sound more "plausible" they tack on specific sounding info (the Bauer media group stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

"you'll own nothing and like it"

Such BS, I have a friend who trumpets this WEF nonsense, I've sat and listen to it all. We have never owned more crap than before, we live in this ultra consumerism age.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd love to own nothing and like it.

We've loads of shite and are constantly are being pushed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

I see lots of dogs groups against having their dogs on a leash in parks etc. Councils seem to want to build specific dog exercise pens with the plan off leash dogs will only be allowed there. There is a lot of back lash from people with small dogs that walk them off leash daily in parks.

I can see both sides, I don't like seeing my kids next to strange large dogs far from their owners off a leash, I have been bitten by dogs as a child myself, but I think councils are also looking at insurance costs and possible past claims for injury. It may become the norm to only walk dogs on a leash even in parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm drowning in shite that's worth too much to just dump. Does anyone know of a person/business that will come along and sell off all your stuff and give you a cut.

I spent my first 30yrs owning nothing only what was in the Jack Murphy bag on my back. In the last 16yrs I'm literally smothered in my belongings.

Much as I dislike Klaus I was a lot happier and free'er with less possession.

Seriously if you know someone does this for a living hit me up. We'll discuss the dog but everything else needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Having a go at our doggy friends,what next.Is this a green issue.I believe Putin,Xi,Kim Jong etc are working on getting rid of a lot of humans asap so that will help the shite situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you checked out Eamon Ryan and the Green Party....Putin is your friend believe it or not.

Advertisement