Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall panel installation

Options
  • 30-10-2023 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how tricky this is ?, been using the same handyman to fit kitchen worktops, floor laminate, internal doors , this past eight years

he’s the kind of guy who will take on any job but never heard of him fitting wall panels , it’s just one side of the living room so not an extensive area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What types of wall panels, can we ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

i suppose the regular wooden kind you find In living rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wooden wall panels have not been regularly in living rooms for about 100 years.

What style of planel? Flat, boarded, mounded. Who is giving direction as to what and how to install it. Are shop drawings required?

Theres a lot that could go wrong here if the instructions are not crystal.

I often use “ wooden “ as a catch all term, I do realise that MDF isn’t referred to as wood in the trade but a carpentry experienced guy could still work with it, it’s one wall in the living room, nineteen feet long by eight feet high

Where did I say the work was difficult? I’m pointing out that unless you are very clear, you leave yourself open to their interpretation.

carpenters typically follow a design, rather than make up the design.

If you can point to the exact product you want, and how you want it. It should be fine.

I was pointing out “panelling” is a broad catch all. Huge difference between shaker vrs wainscotting vrs shiplap types

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭chooseusername

@tesla_newbie I'd say your handyman would be more than capable of doing something like this;

You could even DIY it if you're handy.

Just plan it out and let him know exactly what you want to achive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve just finished having a bar in my house panelled, went for the classic/standard design and it looks fantastic. I do quite a bit of DIY myself and did consider having a go, but glad I didn’t. The plaster in the walls was uneven and there as quite a bit of adjustment to be done to get it looking straight and neat, so I’m very glad I got a professional. Also op, take care painting it, particularly if the color is not white. For knowledgable painters it is simple, but you are going to have to get the right undercoat and caulk it neatly to get a top finish. No matter how good the carpenter, if the paint finish isn’t right, it’ll look cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Simple panelling like the pic above in a shaker style is very easy and a lot of the time there is no full cover just strips stuck to wall and the whole lot painted over so it looks like the full wall has been covered in timber. Of course if the wall is uneven or bad condition then it's easier to cover the whole lot. It's more a question of accurate measuring.

I panelled my kitchen island by covering with thin sheet of mdf and then cut the strips and stuck them on, panelled one wall of kitchen to match up to dado rail height but just did the strips there as the wall was fine, when it's all painted over it's not noticeable at all that some is wall and some is wood.

Again accuracy is the biggest thing, if your diy person is generally good getting things level etc then should easily be able to do this, others I have found don't have an eye for things being straight or level at all even with tools!

Disinformation? LOL. Pull the other one boss. Maybe check you last post.

"He is not sending a rocket to the moon".

You're hardly going to claim you were unaware that was a euphemism for difficult task.

• Advertisement

The way you did it on the wall, by applying rails/mouldings directly to plasterboard is a common way of doing it. Especially for full height panels, or where you don't want the lower section to be sider on the corners.

You can see that on the below where it's directly stuck on. Fine for a domestic situation. Maybe not the the home bar out the back.

Backpedals, accuses others of disinformation, gets caught out. "ah let it go"

LMFAO. Dig up man, dig up.

Advertisement