Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing the height of back boundary wall

Options
  • 30-10-2023 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I've a block boundary wall similar to the photo below.

What would the cheapest way to raise the wall be? Add more blocks on top, or to use fencing panels etc? I suppose more blocks would be a nice finish for the neighbours side as mine dont have the plants or buildings.

Roughly how much are we talking to get it done? I genuinely don't know if it's gonna be < €500 or €5k job!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Be mindful of the 2m limit without planning.

Finish depends what you expect to see. Timber panels will require maintenance but the blocks can be painted or rendered with little maintenance afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Need to be mindful of any structural issues - wind loading on higher walls can be significant.

You might need additional piers in the wall if you increase the height - depends on overall height and distance between existing piers or alternative supporting structures.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Fencing panels would be cheapest. For a you could do the whole wall for a few hundred. Shop around and see if anyone is clearing out stock for end of year.

Semi permanent, paint them whatever you like, easy to fix flower pots or climbers to, don't have to worry about the neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Strictly speaking, you can only had one more row of regular blocks without planning.

Could push it slightly higher with soapbar/concrete bricks etc

Advertisement