Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RX8 NCT situation :(

Options
  • 27-10-2023 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Brought it down to Naas NCT centre last weekend. I've been trying to get the car back on the road for a while now so wasn't paying to much attention to the finishing touches, was more interested in making sure it didn't fail on something big.

Anyways, only failed on a bad number plate and a foglight being out. But of course, because it's an RX8, it failed emissions as well. Was told it would only need a visual seeing as how it failed on the number plate and foglight and not actually on the emissions.

Went back today to be greeted with a lot of hostility when I asked for a visual considering it says it needs a retest on the form. I tried to explain and told them what was said to me the previous weekend but was basically told to get lost and book the retest.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this before and which is right, should I get a retest or a visual, obviously would rather not part with money if there's no need.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can do a visual at any test centre, try another; and bring the bit of the manual explaining that emissions tests are not done on Wankel engines.

Page 141 here

I would be concerned that by doing the emissions in the first place (when they shouldn't) they may not be able to issue a visual cert; in this case I would expect that NCTS would give you a 'full' retest for free but you would have to contact them - lads in the test centre won't be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tantalum73

It should be only a visual for the lights if what you say is correct , then your name and address recorded at the centre and the report and cert gets posted to you (rx7/8 owners will be familiar with this).

Emissions are not tested on a rotary engined car and that is well known throughout NCT centres , although always possible you dealt with someone with misinformation or who misinterpreted the report . If i were you just pop into the centre again ( or any other ) and ask for the team leader

Can you post up a picture of your report obviously obscuring your name and reg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Should have given them abuse back and you was in right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

When you put the reg in the NCT website does it tell you that you need a visual or in-lane retest? If it is visual, then you’re fine. If it’s in lane, the test centre’s hands are tied and you’ll have to go ring NCT headquarters about it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement