Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First spin

Options
  • 26-10-2023 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

This weekend I am taking my first spin on my bike since recently completing my ibt and theory test. Before my first spin on the road ( on a 650) I was a little nervous to be honest but got the hang of it quite quickly. They (ibt instructor) started me on a 125, then 300 and finished on a 650. Any tips from more experienced bikers are more than welcome, thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Take your time, and as above presume everybody else doesn’t have a clue you are there.

It’s easy go fast but a lot harder to stop.

i dunno what bike you have but as above again, tyres pressures are important,

I never liked a rock hard front tyre , felt it too skittish, especially when cold and wet, so find something you like, a psi or 2 can make a difference, which is again as above check them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you see traffic slowing or stopped for no reason, or leaving space then assume they see/know something you don't.

Or assume they're stupid and about to do something else stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Don't do wheelies through traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Enjoy, there's lots of little things you'll pick up along the way. My tip is if you're filtering between lanes, take it slow. I see guys flying between lanes of traffic on the m50, it's madness. Same in your on a road and your lane of traffic is stopped and you're passing. Take it handy. People have a tendency to move out for a look, maybe a van is letting someone out of a driveway to turn right, or someone decides to do a u turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Enjoy it. Don't grip on too tight either. You'll feel rigid and won't settle as well. Go handy and steady. Enjoy and get home and do it again the next day.

Report back when you go out and let us know how it's been.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Try to relax and enjoy it not everyone is out to kill you!

Give yourself plenty of space from vehicles ahead while you get used to reading the road and the conditions at this time of year, a sudden stop in traffic can panic a learner rider.

Whereabouts in the country are you, try get out with a more experienced rider if possible.

You will love it, biking is a skill which takes time and practice.

Thanks, ibt instructor told me to keep my distance, based in Kildare.

Yep good idea I almost ran into the back of a car on one of my first spins as I totally forgot what to do to slow down haha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't overtake approaching a junction.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Assume that nobody can see you.

Assume that there is a car or tractor or hazard going to come out of every access, gate, field, road that you see up ahead of you.

Assume that if there is an access or road to the right then the car you're thinking about overtaking doesn't see you and is going to turn right.

Forget about who has the right of way, don't worry about that, worry about keeping yourself safe. Plenty of people in the graveyard had the right of way.

Hold onto the bike with your legs around the tank, not your hands on the handlebars.

Don't ride beyond your abilities, your abilities will improve with time, give your ability the time to improve! You're not going to be getting your knee down straight away!

Get on the bike as much as you can to build your experience and confidence.

Enjoy it!

Well, I did it. I took the bike around my housing estate for about 30 mins or so. I didn't get passed 3rd gear but it was good to go up and down the gears, starting/stopping etc. Enjoyed the experience but you have to watch for people in there own world!

Fair play. Start small and work your way to bigger spins. All will help towards experience and getting used to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Brilliant, well done!!! It's a great feeling of achievement

Another short spin yesterday, can't get the bloody thing into neutral!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

That comes with time, you will feel the bike settle into it.

Also check the gear lever position, you can adjust it up/down by loosing a few small nuts.

I had the same issue when I had my first proper pair of boots I couldn't get my toe under the lever properly so was always rough changing gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You need a 'softer' foot when going from 2nd to neutral. You don't press as hard as you do coming down the higher gears.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Just on the comments that a) not everyone will see you and b) not everyone is out to kill you...

I would strongly suggest that you simply assume that everyone is out to kill you. If you do that, you will have a greater chance of escaping the ones who are, even if only by negligence.

Fast forward a few months- getting used to the bike now, have ventured out for longer spins and really enjoying it. Getting used to the feel of the bike too, can't wait for nicer weather !!

• Advertisement

Happy days .. good to get into it. Enjoy the spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

Enjoy ! I am new to 2 wheels too, took my first long spin from Carlow to Baldricks in Kilkenny 2 weeks ago, it was fun, I only went 80 Km/hr and in fairness it's not slow but cars were really close, they over took me anyway, I think they expect you to move into the shoulder but in the IBT they said never ride in the shoulder because you never know what crap is going to be in the shoulder.

Another thing they though in the IBT is to ride close to the middle line because if cars see an opportunity they will basically force you off the road and a lot of drivers are not aware why bikers ride near the line.

I got a Tmax 500 and love the comfort and automatic, It's got a lot more poke than I expected to be honest. Anyway, it will be a couple of weeks before I have her back and I miss it already as I only got it a couple of weeks ago, I passed the IBT last august, I will go for the A2 license and get the A then maybe by progressive access and I might do the manual test then. For now I am happy to be on two wheels because it really is an incredible experience even if it is a Maxi scooter lol.

I was dreading that big roundabout in Kilkenny as you come in the old N9 from Carlow and sure enough someone pulled out in front of me, it was scary as he clearly saw me.

Advertisement