Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Concerns!

Options
  • 26-10-2023 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how people who pay a mortgage are coping at the moment? What’s your monthly payment like …. And curious if there is anyone in their 30’s or 40’s who have actually paid off their mortgage?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still on fixed until Feb; and it appears that the rates BOI are offering ex-KBC going off fixed are actually quite good.

If the rate comes out OK, and I do my planned overpayment, I will be paid off two days before my 40th birthday. Bought close to the most I could afford at the bottom of the market by chance, not skill.

People who got used to tracker rates in recent years are going to be suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Can I ask how long you had mortgage and type of property you bought. I suppose location also is a big influence on cost.

Fair play on getting everything paid off by your 40th …. Mega impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm mortgage free on our home since I was 28. We are mid-sale process on my wife's place, she has only a small bit on her mortgage to clear and CGT. We are selling to tenants that have been there since she 1st rented out the place.

I'm 43 now and after I cleared the mortgage I maxed out my pension AVCs and undertook some other investments, some tanked spectacularly and others trode water. I had to retire from work at 39 medical issues meant managing work and my health became impossible. So I've a state pension and was able to draw down my pension fund and it's allowed me undertake some work around the house, have a few extra holidays and to ensure that we are well insulated from financial shock.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A bit over 11 years now, it was a 20 year but I've increased the payment a bit whenever I'd had the money / kept the monthly amount the same when interest cuts happened.

Bought a run down mid terrace in a fairly high cost area. Timing was luck not strategy, I could probably try convince people it was strategy but it wasn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I've been on a tracker mortgage since 2004, so I've had the benefits of the low interest rates for most of the mortgage, until the past 12 months obviously.. I decided to take 20k out of my savings recently and pay a lump off the remainder of the mortgage as I was earning zero interest on the 20k, but paying high interest on the mortgage. I'm mid forties now and should be mortgage free in two years.

• Advertisement

I’m very impressed by you all …. I didn’t think it was possible! I’ll be nearer to 60 before I am done …. But could be longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

43,mortgage paid off that I took out in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ottolwinner

Just cleared mine in the summer that I took out in 2001. 43 also. Paid a lump sum to clear it early. Even though it was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

2028 is when ours is done. Bought late in life at 40 and will be 57 when its done. Got a 25 year mortgage and will have it paid in 17. Once thats done i am hopefully going part time and semi retired!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

That’s very impressive! Dare I ask what type of property and size of mortgage? I didn’t think it was possible to pay them off that quickly!

• Advertisement

Yea, just a 3 bed semi. Mortgage was low enough, I paid a little over a third in deposit (I had worked in Canada for a time to save that).

Mortgage was just under 100g

Similar enough to myself. 3 bed semi, over a ⅓ deposit down and €145k mortgage.

You guys out in the country then? Must be a great feeling having it all paid off. Interest rate hikes not something to worry about then.

I'm in a city, albeit Limerick. In a nice well settled estate originally built in the 80's, I did buy in 2005 and clear in 2009 so not as lately as Mulbot's 2017 purchase.

Wait ….. 4 years to pay off mortgage! Respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ottolwinner

I suppose the situation has changed greatly since 2005. When restrictions weren’t as bad.

I took mine out in 2001 I was 21 and quit my job before giving them all the paper work. Bank still went ahead and approved the mortgage which seems bananas nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Mid 40's now, First mortgage was around 2004 I think. Small Semi D in nice settled area of Limerick, Sold that house in 2007, built another place out the country to be closer to family, then sold that in 2021 and built another and now Mortgage free. The equity in house two cleared the remaining mortgage and built house three. First house was too small, second was too big. This one is just right, I think. Was very lucky with some of my timings, pure luck. No strategy.

Its definitely a relief to not have a mortgage. Mortgage payments are diverted to pension now, So don't see it really in the pocket as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,014 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just over half way through a 30 year mortgage, will be mid 60s before it's paid off.

Bought at the height of the tiger, but got a great tracker which has served us well and will again in the future.

Phew ….. I thought I was the only one for a while still paying a mortgage !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

Late 40's, with 12 months left. Took out 20 year mortgage €200k in 2007, so with some overpayment we'll knock 3 years off. Just in time to put 3 kids through college....

Nice one …. €195k myself to pay off but did do a €130k extension about 3 years ago which was a good idea while rates were low ….. but now it’s turning out dangerous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,014 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's why I posted.

To see if I could add a bit of balance

A lot of people here with very little left it seems, fair play to them.

Deffo …. I thought a lot had got caught out with the property crash in 2008/09 and had to hand keys back etc! But looks like most have done well Fair Play 👏👏🏻👏🏿

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We bought late 2006 and like many others were in negative equity for years. We moved house 3 years ago so are still on a fixed rate, 22 year mortgage (the bank wouldnt agree to 20) and are already overpaying. The plan is to knock 5 years off. So hoping to be done by 57.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Interesting thread. I've a while to go. KBC to BOI. I plan to pay a lump sum when the fixed rate expires and then see.

I need to ring BOI anyway and see if I can overpay until the end of the fixed rate by about €100 too

You can overpay 10% of the payment and can ask to do so via a webform

I think as I transferred from KBC I can still pay 10% of the actual principal each year or over the term of the fixed. So hopefully can overpay a bit more than BOI standard until the KBC fixed ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Tow

Don't make an agreement to increase your repayment rate with them, just make extra repayments yourself. If you ever need to drop back down or have extra expenses one month they will treat you like someone who cannot make their full mortgage repayment.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

How would I make extra payments myself? Is it just transferring money to my mortgage account via an account number?

I'd be surprised if banks treated cancelling an overpayment that way though?

Advertisement