Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RiP Saorview Brian

Options
  • 26-10-2023 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I was shocked to learn just today that "Saorview Brian" of RTE Networks who used to post here back in 2011/12 died suddenly back in July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I remember his very welcome contributions here at the time, when there was a dearth of RTENL information on the rollout of Saorview.

Unfortunately he got a fair bit of abuse resulting in him leaving and many posts being removed for review, including many of Brian's, possibly a whole thread, never to return.

RIP Brian, condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Micheal Varadkar

Iirc, the heated debates were from professional/trade body installers & traditional electrical shop owners who felt that RTE should "do something" about the fact that every odd jobs man & Delboy with a van were doing installations & phone repair shops & petrol stations etc were selling mpeg4 boxes from Eastern Europe. Perhaps 11 years on such debate seems quaint now?🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You're probably right, a long time ago and no way to verify since the thread/posts were removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

First, RIP to Brian Geraghty.

Secondly, I only have a passing memory of the thread but I do remember some posters taking some very critical, at times even personal, jibes at Brian on matters than were outside of his field & control which resulted in the thread being prematurely closed. FTR I recall asking him if Saorview or its services had any plans to providing MHEG-IC (like Freeview had started provisioning in around 2011/12) on the platform, with Brian replying that there were no plans at the time.

Seriously, what were they expecting RTÉ or Saorview to do? Getting the government to ban anyone other than "approved" installers & outlets from installing or selling reception equipment for the platform? That would have been a big laughing stock on its own and IMO would never have stood up to a legal challenge. Saorview was (and still is) operates in a similar fashion to Freeview in the UK as a promotional body for the DTT platform, it doesn't have legal powers!

Advertisement