Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house offer

Options
  • 26-10-2023 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

Hope someone knows how to navigate this? Got offered a council house yesterday went to see it today and accepted it signed forms etc.

I was told my tenancy starts in 2 weeks.

It’s brilliant and I’m so happy but how should I give my current landlord notice? I’m on hap currently so I guess I need to give him full month.

Also I don’t have keys yet and no carpets or covering on floors or blinds etc it’s brand new. 

I don’t have money for anything and how can I get everything done before I have to leave my current place?

Will the council continue to pay my hap once I officially become their tenant until I leave my current rental? 

Any advice appreciated 🙏🏻

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I don't know about the HAP situation, but there is a grant to help furnishing your new home. Contact your local welfare officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Congratulations

You might get the Answer in this Forum

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SourSessions

You need to look into how much notice you need to give as it usually depends on how long you've been a tenant at your current place.

Call your county council to discuss changing from HAP to local authority rates after you know how much notice you need to give. I gave up a HAP tenancy recently and I just had to tell them the date I was ending the tenancy (but I wasn't moving to a council house)

CWO will help with kitting place out etc you usually have to come up with three quotes for whatever you need and they'll assess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You will have to contact your local authority housing office for the answers to these questions.

HAP is paid from a separate office, sometimes in a separate county (for example if you are in Tipp, the HAP office is in Limerick). So a quick chat with each of them should sort you out.

The CWO will process a ANP for you. Some CWOs require the form stamped by the local authority. Your LA will be able to tell you if they get involved in that or not.

As everywhere is different I’d be inclined to try and sort this out myself if I were you, as what may apply in one county would not apply in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You can apply for the housing grant. It takes up to 6 weeks to process

3 months bank statements , copy of tenancy agreement ( not the offer letter) and quotes for what you need to get .

If you're missing anything, it will delay the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Do what those of us that buy our own house have to do. Buy what you can afford in charity shops, ask if any friends are getting rid of some furniture, get cheap plastic chairs, sheets over the windows, leave the floors bare until you can afford carpets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bowles08

Hi all just wanted to ask when the council make an offer do they send you a letter requesting documents from you from revenue ???

Advertisement