Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation with solid fuel stove

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Grand, so you admit you read my post wrong and partially quoted it.

We will leave it there. 🫡

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

I enquired about fitting an air duct starting from behind the stove and run vertically to terminate at the ridge.( this was common practice with gas fired warm air heating).

But no, its got to be a 5" hole on the outside wall at about ankle height and will likley be close to where your sofa is 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Thanks for your response.

The stoves don't "need" to be kept but they are only 12 months old and we spent a bit on them as we had to replace both mantles too because the original ones were timber. We did them before we embarked on a retrofit. If only I could go back in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

<I didn't mention steady state heating. Nor is it relevant to the part you quoted. What do you think steady-state heating is?

It is relevant. It is about leaving a home set to run heating continuously. You were arguing that adding insulation won't increase temperature in many homes. This is true but only if one relies on a thermostat as in steady-state heating. This set up is recommended and the trend but it is not how many live. 

<I think your mistake there is assuming that real world energy performance of a dwelling exactly matches BER estimate (spoiler alert: it doesn't).

I am glad we agree. But it's not just a case of poor detailing. It is also the case that as heating is cheaper, people use more of it. 

I haven't seen the CSO data that you refer to, but I'd be interested if you have a link. Agree that the BER system is flawed.

Here it is. https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-dberngs/householdgasconsumptionbybuildingenergyratings2021/keyfindings/#:~:text=Average%20gas%20consumption%20per%20square,dwellings%20(see%20Table%205B).

Regardless, even if people were deciding to heat their houses higher than previously, the requirement for ventilation is still there, so its moot.

Yes. Once the house is warmer, ventilation needs change. 

If you think there is a contradiction there, then you don't understand any of that.

I know. I never said anything to the contrary.

>You (incorrectly) implied it was required to prevent condensation.

It isn't incorrect.

Ok fair enough but often internal ventilation controls are not intended to ventilate the interstitial conditions. Is a bathroom vent going to ventilate a cavity behind a warmboard? I think only if it is designed to do so.

>He confirmed what you said was wrong. Windows cannot provide background ventilation as you claimed.

Not according to the regulations but in the real world they can.

>How often do you open the windows in every room in winter?

Daily in my older property and every second day in my new one with MVHR.

>Those don't shower daily? That's a new one. Somebody who doesn't wash will have less bathroom steam, so they need the air changes to get rid of the whif of BO

That is nutty. Ventilation needs are linked to occupation and usage. A bachelor living in a three bed will not require the same ventilation as a family of five who could fit in the same house. Same applies to houses who those cook and wash less. Some MVHR units have preprogrammed settings which the occupant adjusts based on current household size

Advertisement