Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does claiming for windscreen actually increase your premium?

Options
  • 25-10-2023 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So.... bought my dream car after the guts of a year of searching and low and behold I parked it in town and came back to a chip in the windscreen. 

BTW, I fully realise that there is no real logic /fairness apart from "*The system has given you this premium sir, we have no control over it"*, but thought I'd throw it out there in the hopes someone perhaps has better knowledge of these things. 

But thought Is ask ask many insurers ask this question and count it as a claim although it doesn't "affect" your no claims discount. 

Base on the cartel that is the Irish car insurance industry, I'm sceptical of the reality of this to say the very least.

If making a claim for a chip is likely to jack up my price I might consider just take the hit and repair it myself. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've had several windscreens replaced and a chip fixed over the years. At every renewal for my bike and car I tell the insurance companies and it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

im 99% sure it is free with all policies but ring your insurer and check

Mine was free a few years ago, the company could either replace it or fill it with gel. made no difference to premium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

yes it does effect quotes.

i've had a windscreen claim (well my garage did on my insurance) and it must be noted on applications. 100% i see a higher quote since i had it. Not a huge amount but definitely has an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭geotrig

I had a somewhat similar experience this year as i made a windscreen claim and on renewal while it didn't really affect my premium or discount ,what did happen was the "ncd cert " said no of years claims free on this policy reset down to zero with 65% or full discount still applied ,

Even though I was getting the full ncd and after a long discussion with my insurer I was none the wiser as we just kept going around in circles on the issue ncd being affected /not affected. So while it didn't affect my premium ,it indirectly does as I presume if I moved insurer the cert had reverted to 0 years.

I would have paid for it myself if I known that before hand.

Post edited by geotrig on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurance forum mods?

• Advertisement
Advertisement