Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo upload PSC card

Options
  • 24-10-2023 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I am trying to renew my father's Public Services card online but the photo I upload has been rejected every time. I even downloaded an app that was specifically for an Irish passport photo and paid 12 euro for the photo (which it said it verified would be OK for upload). I could go in to the Intreo office and they will do it there but he is elderly and not able to queue for long (we left the last time because the queue was so long).

I also need the photo for for his driving license renewal. Is there any app others have used that can verify or guide you on whether the photo is OK or not? Preferably while you are taking the photo so I can get it right at the time of taking the photo and not have to go taking a new one over and over again.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Could you possibly contact the SW office and point out your fathers immobility and ask them to make an appointment for him to come in and renew his card at a quiet time for them and him. I know they will oblige you with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭homenotaway

The only tip I can give you is to take a very close-up picture. My sister had several photos done (by her husband), all rejected until the close-up one was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OP check the settings on your phones camera, change to the Size photo your asked to upload on mywelfare, I can't recall the size but had exactly the same problem after a number of failed attempts.

When I corrected the size of image on my camera setting, photo accepted immediately.

New PSC Card sent out close to your dad's current cards expiry date or immediately if expired

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The issue is the phone cameras settings, (Image dimensions) I had the same issue and have explained 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

• Advertisement

Honestly I'm reasonably good with technology but was stumped until I thought I'd check camera settings (I'd not have even considered this 😁)

Should sort out OP's issue 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

I will try changing the camera settings so, thanks for the replies.

Change aspect ratio to 4:3 and take your photos then, this should resolve your issues. By default, depending on your phone, Aspect Ratio is set to full screen, making the image format incorrect.

It took a while for me to realise what the problem was. I should mention, no such problem when I renewed my passport last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

I think it just got harder, have camera set to 3;4 but still impossible to get it accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I had this issue when renewing my (elderly) mother's card last year. Likewise I wanted to avoid a trip to the DSP office if at all possible. In the end I took well over 100 photos before I got one that was acceptable. A lot of the issues were to do with her blinking, not holding steady etc. Plus the photo had to pass her filter (I look terrible in that picture ....)

A few tips

• Take the photos when the subject is relaxed, during the daytime when they are alert and not tired, sitting on a kitchen chair
    • Don't edit the photo - position the phone/camera so the pic is the correct size and make sure the lighting is adequate and devoid of shadows, maybe put a light behind you, lighting up the subject without blinding them
    • Read and re-read the guidelines and watch out for all the pointers they give you
    • Double check your camera settings and/or try a different camera/phone

• Advertisement

I said, Aspect Ratio must be 4:3 no other size will be accepted. I'd also cancel pending application & start from scratch.

Thanks for your help, I'm going to let them take the photo. I've spent too much time with the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 amazonwomen

I'm weeks trying to do this. Took my own photos. Rang DSP and they suggested bringing my 92 year old mother to Bishop street (she refused). I eventually got her to go to a local photographer (can pull up right outside the door) who does passport photos. Paid for printed and online photos (need printed for parking permit). It wouldn't accept the photo???

As I've said, the problem is resolved easily by changing the setting on a mobile phones camera to Aspect Ratio 4:3 and insuring the other instructions followed.

DSP won't accept printed photos & if a face to face appointment is not an option, completing the process through mywelfare is the only other way

most cameras are actually set to take a photo in portrait mode in 4:3 aspect ratio.

If you change the photo to landscape (ie rotate your phone) the aspect then changes to 16:9. This is rather automatic.

There are numerous reasons why the photo is not accepted and it seems your only advice is to change the ratio even though the OP confirmed it made no odds.

It’s important to follow all instructions and make sure the photo matches what they are asking for. If necessary to aid lighting increase exposure or brightness in the settings or use a well lit room.

Do not have any shadows and if I remember right you need to be very close. It is normally better with a phone camera to bring the phone closer rather than zoom as this tends to distort easily. Also make sure the camera is in focus.

Phone cameras are usually not great anyway. It’s little wonder people are having trouble but unfortunately if you have a cheaper handset the camera may just not be up to scratch at all.

Could be worth seeing if someone you know happens to have a more ”flagship” phone such as an iPhone or Samsung galaxy. as these tends to have decent cameras. Samsung especially actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Perhaps this will help someone who’s trying to renew a public service card.

An out-of-date card can still be used to collect social welfare payments at the post office and can be extended for three years by calling the Department’s PSC Helpdesk at 0818 837000.  

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-10-19/139/

There's obviously a problem with the selfie process. I've been to intro office and dozens of people queuing up for the photo because the system wouldn't accept the selfie photo,(even using 4:3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭billyhead

I had this problem with my Mum. Ended up having to book an appointment for her in the intreo centre.

Most settings on phone cameras are set to full. Screen. I shared my own experience on a separate Thread & it worked, I also stated there are other instructions to follow (White Background etc)

I stand over the advice I offered, and the primary reason photo's are not being accepted is they are to large due to full screen mode, indeed the site tells people image to large as reason for rejection.

Did you actually ask this people Queuing, why they were there 🤔 Appointments for PSC cards carefully managed.

• Advertisement

I have checked out of curiosity numerous phones and all so far have had 4:3 aspect as standard for “selfies” and the majority will default to 4:3 in portrait mode with the rear camera.

Also, if the DEASP website does not have file compression to streamline the process for the customer they are at fault here tbh. Any half decent uploading system will be capable of handling the image compression and aspect ratio adjustments— also it is strange they are asking people to use their own camera app and upload the pic. It would surely make more sense for them to take the photo via the website with your devices camera.

Similar to like Revolut when you setup an account, they’re using your camera but their app handles the image settings if you like.

I can only share my experience having tried numerous times to upload & once I changed aspect Ratio, problem solved immediately.

I agree DSP need to address this and a number of other issues, including better explaining what is required.

Oddly no such problems exist on the online passport renewal procedure, a piece of cake by comparison.

This is the 2nd Thread on this issue.

Advertisement