Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donedeal ads huge price hike

Options
  • 23-10-2023 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed the huge increase in cost of placing an ad on dd? I just paid 28e to put my car on the site and if I want to bump it that's an extra 7e! The top tier ad is almost 50e.. taking the piss I think. Plus when you have an issue there's no way to contact a service rep by phone it's all online. Which means you are completely ignored. What a joke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If I recall when Donedeal originally launched an ad on Carzone was €30 and Donedeal was started out at something like €2.50. It's pure gouging, they are making a killing, they have circa 80k cars on the books today, 22k of them today are private so it's literally a gold mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭User1998

Yep, big price hikes over the past year.

I just post the add on Adverts for free/€2/€4 and receive a free Donedeal add as part of the Adverts add.

Second part isn’t true tho, they’re customer service is great and they reply instantly via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭goochy

donedeal bought out years ago , if they see what other motoring sites are charging - they are obviously going to price something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭User1998

Sure Autotrader in the UK costs up to €100 for an add

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It’s the way of these things. Surely a lot of the ‘youth’ use FB marketplace anyway?

DD are aiming for dealers and middle income private sellers so can charge a premium if they provide decent support and combat the spammers.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Agreed. Only other option is marketplace which is free but so painful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Bring back the 'Buy and Sell' magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

In my case it absolutely is true. You must be one of the lucky ones

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭M3CS

I paid €9.99 for an ad a month ago. Gouging cnuts - it's just a free-for-all at the minute and it seems like almost every business is chancing their arm with price hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Seems like it cause that's exactly what they're doing, and getting away with it as long as people pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's gone up the last couple of years now iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭M3CS

Several times over the last few years alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will take an existing rival or new rival to come in and undercut them in order for them to lose their monopoly. DD did it to carzone about 10 years ago and ended their dominance very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Donedeal was free initially 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭littlevillage

It's the natural evolution of these things... a disruptor comes in and takes on the incumbent... but eventually becomes the incumbent itself and the cycle repeats itself. 'Buy and Sell' had a virtual monopoly on small ads at one point but got too greedy then adverts.ie and DoneDeal came along and wiped them out, same will happen DoneDeal. Adverts.ie has long been a joke with its scammers and spammers. The king is dead, long live the King.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ben Dunne tried the free ads thing before, learned very quickly that it was a monumentally stupid idea.

Also, it was completely unmoderated, so very soon after launch it was overrun for ads as varied as Velociraptors in the Pet section, weekends in Darndale in the Travel section, and so on, got overrun and was shut down in a very short space of time.

Most of its been lost to time, managed to find a couple of screenshots still up

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

I remember ages ago it was €2.99 and they'd put a DoneDeal.ie watermark over your pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Does anybody remember the likes of Autotrader and Buy and Sell getting narrower and narrower until they eventually just disappeared off the shelves.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The only ones who should suffer this price hike are the dicks who set the headline price as €123 or €1234, but bury the real price in a list of Felt-spec targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Well it worked for donedeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wouldnt pay more than 5 euro for a donedeal advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Scandalous price. I had to offload a car back in August and was resigned to sticking it up on donedeal. Happened to open the Motors forum for first time in ages, and it so happened there was a local guy looking for a very similar type of car to mine. Quick DM and he was here to view it that evening. Bought it and drove off the next day.

Boards strikes again and saves me €30. Thanks Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Same company owns boards.ie, donedeal, adverts, daft, gumtree and the journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Used to own boards.ie.

Now this site is running on chewing gum & the generosity of a user in paying most of the bills

Advertisement