Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need to use my Tacho card?

Options
  • 22-10-2023 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I work for a Civil Engineering company as a Supervisor and we generally do work for the council. My company will be purchasing an 18 tonne tipper truck in the near future to move materials for our work site's,i will be driving this truck from time to time and im wondering if this type of driving is exempt from Tacho card rules in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The only people exempt from the tacho rules are emergency services personnel and certain councils, You would also need to have a current CPC. The only other areas were the tacho regs & CPC don't apply is people working in the likes of the airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Steel rain

Thanks for the heads up,my boss taught that we might fall into the exempt group but i had a feeling that we would not. I take it the company will have to get a system to download our tacho cards also?

Yep and ideally download the digi card weekly and use the correct modes. you also mentioned tipper trucks So you might require a waste collection permit again that's out of my scope of work transport wise.

But i do see tipper trucks with the permit nbrs on the cab of the trucks.The only exempt group would be companies who transport their own goods by road so technically if you haul someone else goods you would require a transport manager who is qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Steel rain

yes we have waste collection permit in place at the company and it will only be our own goods to be moved from site to site so we should be good on those fronts,i will let the company know about whats needed to keep the digi cards up to date,and thanks a million for the help ur a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 notthereyet

It's a tricky one I work in civils myself and have no cpc or drivers card and all trucks are down as utilities vehicles so as far as I am told by my supervisor who doesn't give a **** is that we don't need them if we are working 100 KM from base, was stopped one day by RSA driving a 12 meter 8 wheeler recovery truck which we use for moving machines and he never looked for my drivers card

• Advertisement

These are the rules regarding exceptions. Again they are open to interpretation

Advertisement