Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Paddy Cosgrave overstepped the mark?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He claims to still have the evidence about the 4 dead nurses nonsense and is just waiting for the right time to release it, hes beyond help tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

He started The Ditch over deserved criticism of the event he planned/failed to plan well enough?

2 junior ministers resigned and they reminded Stephen Donnelly to tax his car. Did they break any other stories?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This chap reminds me a little of Conor McGregor - specifically, can I think of anyone I am less interested in hearing about than Conor McGregor; well actually….

Post edited by Tombo2001 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

He really is just a total scumbag. Dreadful creature.

I was having a look at his bluetick followers the other day, the venn diagram matches far closer with mcgregor than paddy will ever like to admit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To me his support of The Ditch always seemed predicated on an eagerness to make the government pay for the whole Web Summit situation (and yes, I'd entirely agree the vast majority of the criticism there should actually be directed Cosgrave and Web Summit's way). That it's worked to some extent - I would consider two junior ministerial resignations and serious pressure on several other ministers quite the outcome for a small media outlet - is surprising. Just recently they broke the news of the Attorney General's referendum advice too.

I have my issues with the way The Ditch does some things, and I am absolutely not a fan of Cosgrave (to put it mildly) let alone Chay Bowes. Can't deny The Ditch has been a surprisingly effective effort, though, for a media outlet run by two lads and (initially at least) spite funded by a tech conference organiser. On a different level entirely to farcially promising a press conference that has now failed to transpire on several occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Robert Troy’s behaviour was terrible and Damien English was a well established politician when he lied on the Planning Application, they both thought they’d get away with it. No other journalists were looking into this kind of thing. So far dues when they are deserved, of course.
    There is still a lot of shady goings on in Irish Society to be exposed or amplified but I think being hitched to Paddy’s brand won’t do them any favours from now on.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree think the Ditch is a great publication to have in our democracy especially when you look at how cosy journalists are with some politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Most journalists don’t make unsubstantiated allegations though because the ramifications for their employers could be enormous. The Ditch publish some complete scutter confident in the knowledge that as they have nothing, they have nothing to lose.

Besides, it is a bit rich when a compete scumbag editor publishes allegations related to housing, whilst at the same time being in court himself for owing a huge sum to a landlord and having to be evicted.

If that’s your idea of good journalism, you are their target audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭JVince

I thought he was having a press conference about Leo Varadkar - has he cancelled that element?

He really is coming across as someone who has totally lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yes they broke the An Bord Pleanála corruption which involved Coveneys pal Paul Hyde.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Also now are the most corrupt and biased media in Ireland

Hardly something to shout about

Only the Gript which was started by Paddy's "mate" is trying to rival them for that title

The most corrupt and biased media is RTE not The Ditch. I never knew John McGuirk is a mate of Paddy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

No, nobody can argue that the Ditch was created based on a vendetta, a vendetta because Paddy didn;t get his way. Which would have been bad for the people of Ireland

Everything to do with the Ditch is biased and corrupt.

John is another in a long line of people who have sued Paddy :-)

You might not like how the Ditch was created but it has gone after all the Irish political parties which is what the fourth estate is not doing. Can you remind me who is Paddy's pal in Gript?

It hasn't touched Aontu, Labour, SF, the Greens, the SDs, PBP with anything like the fervor it has FG and to a lesser extend FF. And that's fine they are in power they should be investigated but stop lying that they've gone after ever party when they haven't. And let's be honest much of their reporting is pathetic dumpster diving, the tax disc nonsense being a prime example. Also I'll bet money they continue to focus mainly on FG if they leave government as they are absolutely being directed by Paddy's petty vendetta.

It has still touched other parties as I said. Maybe not as much on other parties but they still have and if SF are in the next government I hope the Ditch does a lot of scrutiny on them. Every party should be scrutinised by the media and the MSM does not do enough of that.

They absolutely won't paddy and chay who is definitely still an owner via his solicitor have made their politics and intended editorial direction very clear

Chay is no longer involved and we shall wait and see where the Ditch goes over the next few years. I will be disappointed if SF get in government and the Ditch don't scrutinise them. They will just be like the MSM who has an agenda against non government parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

An owner by his solicitor. How does that work?

LOL so why was Chay back in Dublin to celebrate the anniversary of its launch if he's no longer involved, also why did paddy or someone else not directly buy his share instead of it transfering to a holding company run by Adam Connon the web summit general counsel? Now if you check into him you will see he also transferred his own ownership once web summit severed ties with the ditch which again begs the question why did he not take chays shares directly.....

If you actually believe Chay is still not involved I've a bridge to sell you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Nominee shareholding lads. Shareholding in trust.

I don't buy bridges and I don't believe Chay is involved anymore but if you can prove he is

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭purifol0

Entire publications got cosy with the govt when the two had a get together and the govt lowerered VAT on newspapers in 2022.

https://www.independent.ie/business/scrapping-of-vat-on-newspapers-to-support-critical-role-of-the-free-press-across-ireland/42022943.html

The Phoenix et al called them out on this obvious corruption as the lowered rate applied only to newspapers and not magazines, regardless of the content. The Phoenix has long been properly critical of govts and the wider public sector and has broken a whole lot more stories than anyone else. You wont find any writers names in it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

if SF are in the next government I hope the Ditch does a lot of scrutiny on them

The reason The Ditch exists just did a massive 'whoosh' right over your head.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I love this level of cognitive dissonance, so you dont trust anyone in msm but absolutely implicitly trust cosgrave and chay. Cosgrave who's well known for being an abusive pr1ck to his employees, fires people and hires their assitants to do the same job at half the pay and has even doxxed some ex employees on twitter who spoke out about him, is involved with multiple court cases due to his big mouth, hides assets overseas and boasts about it, has a known vendetta for FG due to them not handing him a golden ticket when asked(FYI this is the sole reason the ditch exists), spread lies and disinformation during covid, constantly spreads false rumours to try to stay relevant and takes blood money from despotic regimes to try and help whitewash their image. And then theres Chay he works for RT and spews putins propaganda on a daily basis what else is there to talk about? He's a vile hate filled piece of human garbage who lies for a living.

These guys you trust…..

Paddys back at the web summit as CEO but was he really ever gone? He was posting pics on twitter from the offices back in Jan.

Funnily enough his comments were the only time ive ever agreed with him but I also think its was monumentally naive of him to not expect such a reaction and incredibly arrogant of him top put all his employees jobs at risk the way he did.

• Advertisement

I never said I don't trust anyone in MSM. There are some great journalists in MSM as there I is some who have a biased agenda. I also never said I was pro Chay or pro Paddy. Being honest here Chay has done himself no favours working for RT. As for Paddy some of the people he has gone after I know and I think Paddy should leave them alone. His on off press conferences is not good and I think maybe its time he took a break for social media especially as he is now back with Web Summit and he can't afford to damage the Web Summit brand.

If the MSM did their jobs and hold those in power to account, there would be no need for The Ditch. Most of the MSM media is just as bad in the UK, very pro Tory and quick to brush under the carpet Boris's escapades as well as writing pro Brexit Bullshiit.

Advertisement