Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It feels like the future has arrived quite suddenly

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Human colonisation on the moon 🌙

What stage are we at?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

When I read this first I thought it was going to say "environmental destruction, real global warming and Waterford".

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

Great philosophy from Fr Ted

Attractive women:

"Ted, do you ever think about the future "

Fr ted:

"Well I used to think about it a bit, then it became the present and I thought about it quite alot, But then it became the past and I never thought about it again "

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Technology will likely continue to advance rapidly. We can expect breakthroughs in fields like artificial intelligence, biotechnology, quantum computing, and renewable energy. These innovations will likely reshape many aspects of our lives, from healthcare to transportation.

Climate change and environmental sustainability will remain critical issues. Efforts to reduce carbon emissions and transition to renewable energy sources are expected to become even more significant. Sustainable practices, green technologies, and conservation will play a major role in shaping the future.

Advances in healthcare, genomics, and personalized medicine may lead to more effective treatments and longer lifespans. Telemedicine and remote monitoring will likely become more common, improving access to healthcare services.

Cities will continue to grow, and the concept of smart cities will become more widespread. These cities will use technology to enhance infrastructure, transportation, and overall quality of life for their residents.

Online learning and remote work will likely remain integral to education and employment. Hybrid work models, automation, and AI-driven solutions may change the way we work and learn.

Humanity's exploration of space will continue to expand. We may see missions to Mars and the establishment of lunar bases. Private space companies may play a more significant role in these endeavors.

Social and political landscapes will continue to evolve. Movements for equality, justice, and human rights may gain momentum. Geopolitical power dynamics are likely to shift.

Renewable energy sources like solar and wind power will become more prevalent, and the world will continue to shift away from fossil fuels. This transition is essential to combat climate change.

AI will become more integrated into our daily lives, impacting everything from autonomous vehicles to healthcare diagnostics. The ethical and societal implications of AI will also be a significant topic of discussion.

Population demographics will change, with many countries facing aging populations. This could have implications for healthcare, social support systems, and economic dynamics.

Advances in biotechnology, including gene editing and cloning, will raise important ethical questions and concerns about human enhancement and the potential for designer babies.

Ongoing global challenges, such as pandemics and cybersecurity threats, will require international cooperation and innovative solutions.

It's important to note that while these trends are possibilities, the future is shaped by countless variables, including human decisions, unforeseen events, and black swan occurrences. The specifics of the future will vary by region and can be influenced by the choices we make collectively as a society. Adapting to change, fostering sustainability, and addressing global challenges will be essential in shaping a positive future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Meanwhile we're still slugging it out like Neanderthals in the middle east and continuing destroying the planet

I reckon tech advances will be for nothing except to help the powerful and wealthy continue with life while the rest of us slug it out with sticks and stones post-apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Meanwhile:

"Around 2 billion people around the world do not have access to clean and safe drinking water, and approximately 3.6 billion people – 46% of the world's population – lack adequate sanitation services, according to a new United Nations World Water Development Report released Wednesday." 22 Mar 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

You gotta love these discussions. It shows, imho, why there is little hope for civilization as we know it, long term.

Half of people : "Ohhhh, Space travel! Living in the stars! Possibly immortality can be achieved!"

Other half: "Eh, it's more than likely the case that we're gonna see catastrophic climate breakdown and all the instability that brings, not in the long or medium term, but in the shorter term. So think about that before you book a ticket on.........cough.......Elon Musk's imaginary rocket ship to the Martian colony!"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would anyone really want immortality?

Not really

One side of discussion is tech advances , other side is destruction of planet , nuclear holocaust etc

They just co-exist and are both real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Allegedly

Me personally I havent seen any of the above never mind used it

I dont think what is being peddled as AI everywhere these days (catch your plane sooner with AI etc) is actually AI. I dont think ChatGPT is AI either. AI has become just another bullshit marketing phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The benchmark for “the future “for any kid in the 1980’s was that documentary called Back to the Future 2

and we have failed miserably to live up to those expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'd say on track to happen before the children's hospital is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I want a transportor like in star trek. Sick of work commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

The theory is great. The reality would be horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I think they have succeeded in transferring one atom, so I suppose they could send you in instalments. It wouldn't exactly be from home to work though, and they might get them in the wrong order 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

The same year that The Internet entered the mainstream.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

AI as people understand it like ChatGPT aren't real AI at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The future was always going to be a disappointment to anyone over 45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I remember watch a programme called. Beyond 2000 when I was young. And the stuff I thought we’d be doing now was mad.

Advertisement