Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did we make the right choice in our Solar PV?

Options
  • 19-10-2023 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

I just gave the go ahead for a PV install, total cost for 10 x 435w Jinko Panels, Huawei Sun2000 5KLT inverter No battery as my god are they expensive! The cost of this install is €7500, The back Garden is South facing and we have room for 14 Panels Max, but the price of 14 panels was close to 10k so I opted for the 10 panel option 4.35KpH in total.

We cant get the SEAI grant as its a new build house, I believe when the MPRN is added for micro generation it will automatically upgrade the BER from A2 to A1?

We've also only just moved into this house about 5 weeks ago our - its our first home :) but it has a heat pump system a Mitsubishi Ecodan, and I've heard some horror stories about HPs costing a fortune in the winter and I want to try and offset energy prices as much as I can.

I also work from home on fairly power hungry computers and wife is the same with regards to working from home, Would love some advice on this like did we get a get deal for 10 panels at €7500 - I spoke with 10+ installers and it was the cheapest price we could get from a reputable company.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

BER's arent automatically updated, but as you arent going for a grant you dont need to do one either.

As for the heatpump, Have a read of the manual for it and swing by the heat pump thread, usually some tweaking is needed depending on how well it was initially configured.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

There is a good group on Facebook called Irish Solars Owners Group, who might help you..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There is no way on earth than an extra 4 panels and larger inverter is +€2.5k.

The single greatest regret in the PV world is not installed the full compliment of panels. Talk to your installer, max €1k extra and that is being extremely generous, probably looking at just over half that in actual costs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

My understanding is that the OP won't be permitted a larger inverter for microgeneration under the NC6 conditions, though in theory a battery with the inverter specced would be one way to leverage the increased kWp of the 14 panels, as those Huawei inverters are capable of outputting 5kW to each of battery and A/C (grid/house) at the same time.

I don't disagree with the general principle of maxing out the panels though, but they need to consider how to access/avail of the extra production capacity (assuming they can hit a peak on a sunny day since all panels are on one aspect), otherwise 12 panels might be a better balance in maxing the inverter supply without too much beyond that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

Personally I'd haggle hard with them to get the 4 extra panels as cheaply as possible and max out your roof. 4.35kW on a 5kW inverter just seems like a waste when you're going to all that expense anyway.

A quick specs check show the max solar that inverter can take in is 7.5kW so it would be well able for the 6.1kW of 14 panels on the rare occasions it's maxed out. Any clipping would be negligible in Ireland and if in the future you do decide to add a battery it will be all the better.

(If you're unfamiliar with clipping, it's when on a rare perfect day for the short period of time when the sun will line up perfectly to max out the panels, the inverter maintains its max 5kW output even though the panels will be giving it a bit more, thus staying within the NC6 limits.)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Just1ce4all

Thanks for the advice all, it seems like all the solar places I've contacted are charging HUGE money after 10 panels, 4.35 seems to be the sweet spot sadly :( I hope in a few years its going to get a bit cheaper,

I've asked to be changed from Huawei to SoFar as the Huawei battery prices are just insane! I also want to install pylontech batteries in the future, has anyone got resources on how that is done? the Inverter is a 5Kwh Hybrid SoFar

They will likely cut the rails they are fitting to your roof for neatness, tell them not to if that's the case so it's much easier for you to look into adding 4 panels in the near future.

Don't go near Pylontech, have a read of the last 4/5 pages of this thread where you can get much higher capacity battery at more economical sense

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up. - Page 41 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If he has a missus that idea will never fly! Max out the panels. I bought extra the day my installers arrived... Whatever they had in the van!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Nahh, you're being mislead there. It's generally the complete opposite. bigger systems (generally) have higher economies to scale.

Why? Well, it costs money to get 2 guys to come out and put up 6 panels on a roof. It costs roughly the same money to get the same 2 guys to come out and put up 10 panels. (Leaving the cost of the actual panels aside) Same with the inverter. You buy a 5Kw inverter which can work with 10 panels, same inverter will work with 14 or 16 panels. No change in cost.

If you haven't actually gone ahead, I'd be trying to renegotiate or use your consumer rights and your 14 days etc to back out of that deal.

There is a good thread for quotes and feedback, I'd highly encourage you to read say the last 3-4 months. Yeah, I know it can be a bit of a thrawl going through pages and pages, but you will learn a lot and you will get a better "feel for the market".

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1 - Page 195 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

I backed out of the deal, the company started changing the panels etc when I insisted on a SoFar system, So I pulled the cord so to speak, I'm looking at other companies now,

I have a guy coming next week to mesure up and he recommends the Solax hybrid inverter, but I cant find any info about DIY batteries with that inverter, I would like to install a Seplos Mason myself to cut down on costs and get way more for the money. Any info on this inverter would be much apreciated.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

So I'm at the start of my solar journey, I'm looking for the right company / equiptment, I pulled out of a deal recently as the company only wanted to install Huawei Inverter and I did not want any Huawei system due to lack of support for DIY batteries,

I'm now speaking with another installer and they recommend the Solax Hybrid inverter but I cant really find any info about DIT batterys for them, I seem from the Data sheet it supports Lead Acid / Lithium-ion battery with a voltage range between 80/480 with a max continious charge or 30amps, the DIY battery I was looking to install would be a Seplos Mason. I know this installer will also do SoFar if I want just need to confirm

Thanks for any advice

(I've totally changed what I've originally replied with)

Solax use " high voltage batteries" generally their own version.

Weco batteries support putting them in series for HV applications. Not sure if solax supports them though.

Usually it's solax or lg batteries (but I think solax is just rebranded LG)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭munsterfan2

That voltage range looks too high for a DIY battery - that is also the issue with the Huawei. DIY battery generally consist of 16 LiFePo4 cells which operate between 2.8v and 3.65v with the main charge released at 3.2v so approx 52v.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

Max continuous charge of 30 amps would make this a non runner for diy battery too

Are you any good at DIY?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/brand-new-solis-5kw-hybrid-diy-kit/35324650

Battery and installation are offered as extras but might be worth consideration.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sligobuck

The Solax Hybrid Inverter you referenced is most likely one that uses the high voltage Solax Batteries.

The Solax Triple Power LFP batteries that are used run at Nom Voltage at 115.2v = (115.2v / 3.2v) = 36 cells. 3 of these batteries can be used in series with a total capacity of about 16kwh.

Better to go with a Sofar Hybrid EP Inverter if you want to go with cheaper home build 48v battery packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Hi Chris,

Can I ask why this is ?

I'd love to go down the DIY route myself but my inverter battery voltage range is 80v - 480v with max charge/discharge 25/25A.

The savings on a DIY battery are so great I could buy a new inverter and still come out on top 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Big Lar

@Just1ce4all Why go against the grain and would it be just easier to ask the installer to supply an inverter that supports 48v battery ?

I don't disagree with your comment but after a few years in this PV world the knowledge of installers is basic at best and far better support from randomers on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

30A * 480V = 14.4kW

That's more power than even the likes of me or @graememk need or even yourself? 😂

I do go with the others in not recommending you make a 480V DIY battery though. Just make your installer pick one of the many inverters that can work with 15S or 16S (preferably both) 48V batteries. You can then still decide at any point to pick an off the shelf battery or to make your own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This 80 to 480v DC battery lark is new to me - it seems to be a new battery type defined as a "high voltage lithium battery".

Seems as you add modules, the voltage goes up. So the modules are added in series rather than in parallel like you would have with a common-or-garden Pylontech. Example here of a BYD battery:

Not sure many will be DIYers want to be exposed to greater than 50v DC... nevermind 500v DC. hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

i have a solax hybrid . was only after it was installed i found out the general 48V diy battery wouldnt work on it.

ended up i got a sofar me3000 . now have a 20kwh battery hooked up to the system ... bit of a waste not utilizing the hybrid but them's the breaks ,

can always add a triple power battery down the line ... (if i won the lotto .. )

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sell the Solax hybrid for good money (should fetch well over €1000) and buy a second hand Solis 6kW standard inverter. I bought one early this year I think for €200. Invest your profit into more batteries. Or just waste it on a few nice dinners with the missus 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

Ah sorry my mistake I thought it was a 48v standard. Will teach me for not reading op properly

Thanks for the info all, I'm going to ask for a SoFar or Solis interverter, just because I can get way more battery for the money, I'm looking into the Seplos Batterys and would love to get advice on the cells etc, and it seems the BMS on the Seplos might not be great :(

The house is already on a smart plan sadly :( but it is what it is

@Buffman I see from that Advert the person also can do the install? Do you know if they can tie it to the Grid also? as its a great deal!

I don't know for sure on the installs, I think he has a sparks who does all the required AC work/paperwork. I've bought stuff from him before and all was good.

• Advertisement

@Buffman Dude this guy is legit! seems like I'll be going with him!! my Nephew is going to do the internal cabling he is a sparks and is already doing some work for me in the house, so he is going to leave the Cat6 + SWA 6mm2 3core for the solar also in the main fuseboard, so all that needs to be connected is the inverter and panels :) might even get a 10kWh battery as his prices are VERY fair!

Advertisement