Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA and Vegas. Best way to do package deal

Options
  • 19-10-2023 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Thinking of doing both cities next year. Any efficienados on best value flightswise, should we do it DIY or use travel agents etc. Broadstrokes Im thinking a few days in each, maybe 3-4 days each place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Fly into LA, hire a car, obviously not on arrival and drive to Las Vegas obviously, drive back to LA, keep car until you depart and fly from from LA.

No need for a travel agent for such a simple itinerary.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

If doing fly-drive Be aware of what hotels in Vegas have free parking , most not offering it unless staying there or part of higher tier of comps, read fine print

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

This. You can sometimes get reasonable value direct flights to LA, depending on time of year. Hire a car and away you go. Can visit Venice Beach / Santa Monica / SF / Golden gate bridge and Alcatrez / Yosemite / Bodie ghost town / Lake Tahoe / Death Valley / Hoover Dam / Vegas / Joshua Tree national park etc. Lots of options if you spread them out and plan depending on your timeframe. The traffic going to and from LAX can be a bit intimidating- heavy and numerous lanes but honestly just allow plenty time and once you get away from the airport you'll be grand. Some lovely scenery there too from Lake Tahoe down through Death Valley. There is also a stop in Death Valley called Rainbow Canyon / Jedi Transition (previously you could see some of the air force training flights going through there but I am not sure if that still happens - I think a plane crashed and they stopped using it). There is also plenty hiking trails if you wanted to see some of the grand canyon (Bright angel trail is one for example but there are more and better ones also). TBH with Vegas it is really personal choice, I had enough in 2-3 days there, but Old Vegas with the streets etc. was fun to see too. It really depends on your interests, etc. Wouldn't personally bother with a travel agent just plan it yourself, that's half the fun! That's what we did and it worked out grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Simple enough trip, direct to L.A and then car rental is pretty much a necessity and off you go. If you're renting a convertible make sure the roof works before you set off on your trip!

Plenty to see and do depending on your interests and the drive to Vegas is handy enough.

Double check the parking situation with your accommodation for L.A and Vegas and you should be all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

It all depends on what you want to see and how long you want to spend in each place.

Earlier this year I booked flights with Aer Lingus (cheapest) and flew to Las Vegas via LA on a through ticket, switched to American Airlines in LA and only 45 mins to Las Vegas. In Las Vegas we stayed in the Jockey Club Suites as there wasn't resort fees and the location is excellent beside the Cosmopolitan and Bellagio and it was very good value. It was recommended to me.

Flew to San Diego and stayed with family north of it then after a few days got the bus to LA as train track was damaged. Spent 2 nights there so did a one day tour of LA and saw the main sights. Booked a Holiday Inn near the airport as we went on a cruise to Vancouver from LA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If you're doing 7-8 days, I'd skip Vegas imo.

Rent a car, do 2-3 days in LA and 5-6 days traveling about. Up to Monterey and back down the PCH through Carmel, Big Sur, Pismo, Santa Barbara or go south to Huntington, Newport, Laguna, Dana Point, San Diego. Do a boat trip. Maybe try surfing.

Either way you dont need an agent. Just buy whatever tickets you need - Disneyland, Griffith, Univeral etc - in advance.

Driving around LA is great fun. Just pretend you're O.J.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I wouldn't drive LA to Vegas as there is a multitude of cheap flights between the cities every day and it's only about 35-40 minutes or so. You also have the option of flying Vegas to San Diego which is roughly similar distance and price though San Diego airport currently undergoing massive construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

It's only a 4hr drive or so, and the liklihood is that a car would probably be needed in LA anyway .Less so in Vegas, admittedly, buy you could then drive to the Hoover Dam.

Advertisement