Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell a home we've just bought

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Noisewise, newborns can sleep through anything. They sleep a lot, but in shorts bursts; they wake regularly in the night as well as in the day, but it is rarely noise that wakes them.

This happy state of affairs doesn't last for ever. At some time after 3 months (but it might not be for up to a year) they will start to react to loud or sudden noises by waking. But muffled noise coming through a wall — particularly steady noise like a television or music playing — tends not to be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

+1. I was one of those babies. I can't sleep on buses, trains or planes. Has to be complete silence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Give it more time OP, I remember when we moved in first we thought our neighbours kids were feral, I couldn't get used to the noise, shouting (kids being kids), running up the stairs etc. Now I don't hear a thing and honestly mine are noisy, its all come full circle. I'm sure the new baby, facing going back to work are all part of the bigger issue, its a tough time. Try make the house as cosy and homely as you can and enjoy it and the build up to a first Christmas with the baby, its a special one. Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Good advice.

OP, few people these days get the house that really suits them, so we have to make the best of what we have. However, remember that things could change in the future. Try to pay as much of the mortgage as you can, and in 5-10 years, you could move to a more suitable house. A "forever home" is a nice idea, but the reality is that needs change. My own parents moved house four times before I was 20!

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You would have to pay back 100% of your help to buy money, and you wouldn't be eligible for HTB on the next house.

The reality is unless you're sitting on a pile of cash you won't be able to afford to sell and buy again right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He said they didn't use Help to Buy.

I still think it's absolute lunacy to be even considering selling up after 3 measly weeks because of what sounds like absolutely bog-standard noise from next door, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lunacy, settle in, maybe if you can get away for a few days with her and clear ye're heads. I just moved from our house of 14 years, its incredibly stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have you met the neighbours? How is the area in general? It could be a lot worse than a hearing some noises from next door. You could have proper neighbours from hell in your next house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I really wouldnt call into the neighbours to ask them to be quiet if its just talking and the radio on during the day. Especially as they are quiet during the evening and night. They arent doing anything untoward and if you ask them to talk quietly during the day its just going to risk a bad relationship with them.

We had new neighbours move in behind us in our last house and they used to have weekly BBQs in their garden with about two dozen people over and Romanian music blaring out until 4am, wood smoke from their BBQ and fires they would light, screaming and shouting, arguments and fights breaking out between them,bottles smashing, then all driving home drunk. So your situation could be a lot worse. Its bad enough with a newborn, dont get on the bad side of your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Living in a new place is a shock to the system part delight, part disappointment when you come across something unexpected. We’ve moved around a lot because of work and I know that first rush of disappointment only too well - you need to give it time.

First thing’s first, you both need to settle yourselves down and get to know the house properly.

Noise is a strange one.. I once lived beside a partially deaf neighbour who initially drove me absolutely bonkers with the loud tv, radio and alarms. Amazing how I got use to it - partly down to the fact I got to know him. He was elderly and the most wonderful human being. I use to call him the old gentleman.. kids didn’t bat an eye or wake up with the noise. We accepted it and got use to it, quite happy living there as there were lots of advantages & positives we soon found out.

You need to give it time and tell yourselves it’s not forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

If her maternity leave is coming to an end, she will be back in work and (presumably) won't be there during the day when you say the noise is the worst?

But 3 weeks is not enough time for things to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jaybmw

Thanks lads all very helpful.. I've been onto the acoustic panelling people to see if we can dampening the sound a bit. But yes there appears to be quite a lot of stress all of a sudden. Not helped by me working during the day and at times working away Monday to Friday. I shall keep you updated on what happens . Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So a 'good' estate agent would lie to buyers? Wouldn't want to meet a bad estate agent I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

You seriously believe estate agents won’t bend the truth within reason to sell an house? All they’d have to say is due to personal matters. The OP doesn’t even need to tell the estate agent the reason if he doesn’t want too.

Advertisement