Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity bills

Options
  • 18-10-2023 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I've been renting a property for almost two years now. I have signed a lease with a clause that electricity bills are inculded in rent. I do pay for gas. I have just been notified by my letting agency that my contract i about to change and that I will be required to pay for electricity monhtly.

Can my lease be changed like that? They have notififed me two months in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

They are effectively increasing your rent by the cost of the electricity, but not sure how this would be "legally regarded".

Are you in a an rpz

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

I am in an rpz. It all looks quite fishy, in the letter they say that the lanlord will be taking monthly readings and sending me a bill using prevailing reates at the date. It looks like I won't be able to choose a provider of my choice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭howiya

If it considered a rent increase 90 days notice is the minimum notice period

• Registered Users Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do you live with the LL? It would be mightily unusual for rent to include electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

I do not leave with the LL. I know it is unusal to include electricity in the rent but that's how the house was constructed. There's a shop and 4 apartments in the house. There was a lot of renovation work going on here recently and new electricity meters were installed. Prior to that I think there was just one common meter hence no ESB bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, it’s a Considered a rent increase. Straight to the RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭SharkMX

So you had no electricity meter before and now you have one?

Advertisement