Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase (new landlord)

Options
  • 17-10-2023 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

The apartment I'm renting has recently been acquired so I'm in the position now of having a new landlord. I've been living here for the past four years. The new landlord has issued a rent review looking to increase the rent. The rent was last agreed in October 2020 with the previous landlord.

I'm wondering are they allowed to back date this rent increase to 2020? They're looking to increase it by 6% (so 2% per year). With the new landlord taking over, is this considered a new tenancy? No new lease has been issued/signed with the new landlord.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

AFAIK the increase is based on the last review date, and the change in Landlord is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Your tenancy is unaffected by the change of owner, as is the rent review process. If the last rent review on the tenancy was 2020, that is the date the new LL can use for calculating increase. You can now be certain that reviews will occur like clockwork. Unfortunately that is the unintended consequence of RPZ legislation, where rents tended to change when there was a change in tenants, now it is regularised based on when it falls due.

Advertisement