Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Aline

Options
  • 17-10-2023 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

On the RTE Six-One just now (17/10/23), a 'Storm Aline' was written on the chart but no mention of it by Joanna Donnelly. It was on the South-East coast by the end of this week. No mention of it anywhere else online that I can see.

The wikipedia page of named storms still has it flagged as 'unused'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

It was mentioned on the weather forecast following Six-One news and it was shown to hit Iberia and then head towards France/Germany/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭justmehere

That's what I was looking at, and she never said anything. It just appeared on the chart at the end of the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭StormForce13

Are you sure that you were paying attention? Because the forecaster was Siobhán Ryan not Joanna Donnelly, and she did talk about it!

Bear in mind too that the Wikipedia list of storms is updated by users and no user has updated "Aline" yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

That's what I was thinking too so I was beginning to think that I was going a bit loopy because I could have sworn that it was Siobhán who presented and who also certainly mentioned Aline. Thanks for reassuring that I'm not going crazy @StormForce13, a pity that @justmehere has lost his/her marbles!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm Aline definitely there and mentioned by Siobhan however I suspect that's a storm named by other met agencies (such as Portugal and/or Spain). Storm Aline does not come near us - for Iberia moving into France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭StormForce13

Well, no mention of Aline this evening on 6-one; and no sign of the name on the ME weather map, although Portugal is definitely going to get some pretty nasty weather tomorrow from the next Atlantic depression. So maybe the storm name wasn't used in the end.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It was named by the Portuguese met agency. No real reason for it to appear on ME weather maps as it's mainly affecting Portugal. Other groups of met agencies have their own storm names.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭justmehere

Sorry, had a brain fart! 😂 Yes it was Siobhán that mentioned it.

Not going to be an event for us anyway it seems, just 'severe weather' warnings issued for Spain.

Advertisement