Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Laptop Battery Not Charging

Options
  • 17-10-2023 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a possible next step in figuring out what's wrong with my Acer Aspire 3 A315-34.

I was given the laptop from a friend that didn't want it anymore and I could see straight away that the battery wasn't charging.

As the laptop is about 4 years old I figured the battery just needed replacing so I bought a new one (genuine Acer battery).

When I put the new battery in it was recognised fine and was working from the battery alone but I quickly realised that when I plugged in the charger it wasn't charging the battery.

My son also has the exact same model laptop so I was able to swap the new battery I bought and put it into my sons laptop and can see that it charges fine in it so it seems that the battery is not faulty.

I also didn't have to do anything special when swapping the batteries, it just worked and charged first time.

On the laptop I've tried the following which I've read could fix battery not charging issues none of which worked.

1. took out the battery and held the power button to drain any residual power and then tried putting it in again.
    2. Removing the battery from device manager in windows and then allowing it to reinstall the battery drivers itself on a reboot.
    3. I've updated the bios to the latest version.
    4. I've tried taking out the battery and running the laptop straight from the charger which apparently can fix this issue when you put the battery in again afterwards.
    5. Even updated to windows 11!!
    6. Tried the battery reset button at the back of the laptop that's accessible using a paperclip.

There is an orange light on the side of the laptop indicating that the battery is charging/getting power but it doesn't actually increase the battery charge at all.

I am no expert at electronics so don't really know what to look for on the board. I do have a multimeter though so might be able to do some diagnostics if anyone has any suggestions although I'll admit I'll have to checkout youtube to see how to use it :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Post edited by bigbadcon on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭RodVelvet

I have an Acer Aspire 7 and was having the same issue. There's a hole underneath the laptop with a battery icon, I put a needle in and pressed the button and my battery started charging again, must be a battery reset of sorts. Not sure if it's on your model but I tried all the steps above before I copped that reset hole was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Thanks for that, I had actually tried that previously but forgot to add it to my original list and it didn't work.

I did try it again though today and it didn't fix it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Run CMD or PowerShell as administrator

powercfg /batteryreport

review results, perhaps gives you some hint

Advertisement