Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Already 'Strong' enforcement of current laws???

Options
  • 16-10-2023 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

How can she keep a straight face when saying the word 'strong' when it comes to current enforcement of road laws???

Completely out of touch esp when they have to go making new stronger laws by punishing everyone.

Any respect as a politician is long gone....what planet is she on because it's not on Irish roads???

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcentee-says-enforcement-of-road-laws-strong-1540084.html

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Wow, today alone, at lunchtime, I had the pleasure of a fella on N plates driving up my hole at speed while texting away on his phone. Everytime we stopped he took off again by waiting till I was ahead a bit then catching up by wheel spinning and all this no more than 200-300 meters from the local garda station without anyone batting an eyelid.

whats incorrect about what she said? Is it not the case that when drivers are caught breaking the rules they are dealt with rather severely?

For example if I’m stopped and have no insurance I can be disqualified for two years on a first offence.

If you’re driving as an unaccompanied learner your car is seized and you get 4 points and a fine. So there’s €120 on the fine + whatever it’s gonna skin you to get your car back

what I think your problem is the lack of garda to enforce the law not that when laws are enforced they are not strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Enforcement isn't the problem, it's detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You're saying the punishment for breaking the law is strong while McEntee is saying that enforcement of the law is strong. While that may be partially down to a shortage of Gardaí, no one can argue that they don't turn a blind eye to loads of law breaking on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the act of compelling observance or compliance of a law

i would reckon she is dead wrong

the punishment for driving while banned is to be banned again, the more the ignore the law the less they apply to you

anyone for more penalty points father?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In fairness, there are plenty of people out on the roads that are currently banned from the roads but still driving, if the enforcement was strong this would not happen. Last week locally the guards had a post on twitter, pulled a car in for speeding at 160kmph I think it was on a road for 120 and once stopped and checked it was realized they were banned off the road only 2 months before hand, car had no insurance, no tax or nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I think you hit the nail on the head

It's a resourcing issue. Can't get staff. the only detection option they can implement is speeding via speed vans. These are deeply unpopular, as it's not speed that's the issue on the roads it's people's ability to drive a vehicle competently / proficiently.

Like there's simple sh!t that most motorists can't/don't do.

its not just a staffing issue, you have an issue where you have over reporting of drink driving stops and no one is responsible

how can you trust they are doing anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

enforcement is not the same as punishment, no?

she was responding to the irish times article which showed a drop in the number of offences detected, which would already be quite low anyway.

the claimed figures for speeding from national slow down day were beyond farcical. we deliberately make it easy for motorists to avoid getting caught speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's usually a sermon about how great those that were killed were at the time they died, then 6 months down the line at the coroners court you see the car was taken without permission, the driver had no licence or insurance, was underage, those killed had no seat belts on, the car was doing triple the speed limit and all of a sudden you see no laws in the world would have saved them from their own demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the fad for undersized tyres on big wheels. can't help matters .

I assume its to fit biggest wheels possible

eg. few like this near me

https://youtu.be/tEsos21W2Vk?si=VKcRpDV5FgdUAzfO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The disconnect we all feel is between the reckless driving we see everyday and those drivers being stopped.

We’d all love to see someone getting pulled over in front of us for a reckless manoeuvre etc. but that just doesn’t happen very often.

10/15 years ago people still bought local papers and read the weekly court reports. Papers could afford to send a journo down there for the day. We could see the result of enforcement and criminal investigation by the Gardaí.

No website is going to be reporting on a dangerous driving case in Tullamore District Court (or anywhere) where the driver pleads guilty, gets a fine and a 6 month ban. There’s no clicks in it.

It’s easy to say nothing is being done when we can’t see it. Garda Traffic on twitter regularly follow up with details of prosecutions. But it is a drop in the ocean.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Lots of the boy and girl racer brigade.

I can't stand that crap. I'd be.more in favour of putting g more tyre under the car if I had the wide rims to take it. I'd imagine the tyre would come off the bead easier than it should when fitted like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,017 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She is queen of the spoofers….her and that disingenuous sneer of hers…

you can see L drivers driving solo daily…you just need eyes… the Gardai take little interest they’ve bigger fish to fry.

my cousin was one. She has passed now. When her Dad asked her “ are you not worried about being stopped ? “…she replied with laughter only..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Are NI drivers still able to break the speed limits here with impunity? Do they even receive penalty points when caught speeding in the Republic? Are they pursued for payment of fines for driving offences detected down South? I suspect not, judging by how often I see them speeding regularly with seemingly no fear of detection here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

There is data sharing between the two. Disqualified driver in the North recently tried to get a licence in ROI and NDLS had the info to decline the application.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

This is an absolute pet hate of mine!

Someone dies on the road and it makes the national news and you have some tick Garda stating "Speed was a factor" then later it's discovered what you said in your post and there is no mention of it in the news or media anywhere. Jokeshop...

This isn't really a thing anymore (around Dublin anyway). 90's/00's are gone.... but this stuff was huge back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Red light cameras should be ubiquitous.

Automatic and relentless enforcement of a seriously dangerous driving offence might help to establish a baseline of people actually paying attention to what they do on the road.

It's now entirely normal to see cars streaming through red lights 10-15 seconds after the lights chance.

i cant even find much about it online

so a niche of a niche

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Wow, that's some read. 501 convictions and that's just the times he's been caught and prosecuted including for escaping while in Garda custody

"Det Garda Delaney said that O'Sullivan asked to go to the toilet early on the morning of March 8th at Togher Garda station and managed to escape out a window, but he was captured hiding in a shed in Ballyphehane 40 minutes later."

All those wasted Garda and court resources in catching, defending and sentencing a repeat offender. If we had a proper prison system there shouldn't be anyone on the streets with 10+ convictions never mind 100s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭User1998

Its called stretched tyres. Plenty of info online.

Not much info on it, a niche of a niche, would you not agree, even looking for pics of it and it descends into pictures of just stretched tyres of other kinds in no time

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Red light cameras, yellow box cameras, one way street cameras, pedestrian crossing cameras etc - The technology is there to "detect" driving offences without a Garda even witnessing it. Number plate recognition should be used for insurance / nct / tax offences but these individual departments dont talk to each other. Maynooth is like a death trap at the minute - no one stops on a red, youre lucky if they stop at a pedestrian crossing, drivers driving the wrong way down one way roads,yellow boxes dont exist. And this happens not 100m from the Garda station.

There should also be a website where dash cam footage can be uploaded , reviewed by a Garda and then a penalty issued based on the footage.

Last time I reported an incident and showed a garda a dash cam video of this idiot overtaking on a solid white, on a hill , at a bend and heading tpwards me on my side of the road missing me by literally inches (about the only time I actually thought I was going to be killed in a car crash if Im being honest) the garda said Id have to make a statement, turn up in court and swear an affadavit that I personally witnessed it...needless to say I didnt bother my arse taking it any further but this could have been a lot simpler.

We have enough laws and probably the right level of penalisation IF YOU ARE CAUGHT. Thats the issue- as some one said earlier not enough detection. Why we cant amend the laws to allow a greater level of technology be used to detect these offences is baffling.

I’d say cameras would end up smashed to bits and the culprits hardly a slap on the wrist.

Be a waste of money unless law and order outside cars is dealt with as well.

Advertisement