Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel lock nuts or not?

Options
  • 16-10-2023 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Folks,

Picking the collective brain here if I can?

Locking wheel nut key is on the way out so option is to buy a new set of locking nuts and a key or just normal wheel nuts which are obviously much cheaper.

Bog standard Mondeo with standard alloys, nothing fancy.

What are your thoughts? Are locking wheel nuts really necessary anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My thoughts are the risk of loosing the locknut key or damaging the lock nuts is higher that the chance of the alloys being stolen. If you have standard Ford wheel nuts then might be worth replacing them all anyway as some of them swell with age and can be a bastard to get off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I always remove them the first chance I get. The likelihood of wheel being stolen is lower than likelihood of losing locking nut, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Replace with ordinary wheel nuts. I had lock nuts but a tyre garage damaged the key on me with use of an impact driver. Only noticed it months later when I was trying to take the wheel off to change the front brake pads. Tried a few different things but they were on so tight I eventually had to drill out all 4 lock nuts and they're hardened steel so took hours. Could have been a disaster stranded on the side of the side with a puncture unable to fit the spare wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Get rid of them, they are a recipe for disaster! The tool / socket for them is flimsy too the casing can split then you can't get them off, or the head can get worn. I had to break one off one time as it was worn, not fun! Had to split and break the collar on the nut first then force a normal socket onto it and try get it off that way. Worked but a pain in the...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Having experienced a seized or overtightened locking nut strip the key pattern, needing a hex nut welded to it to allow it be removed I'd say get rid of the locking nuts and replace them with standard wheel nuts all around.

Garages also have no end of trouble with cars being left in without locking nut keys or them being left in some obscure place in a car when it is left in for work.

I've not had locking nuts on a car in years and it hasn't caused me any problems.

I have been unable to help someone stuck by the roadside with a flat tyre because they couldn't find the key to the locking nut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I normally leave the nut key on the passenger seat anytime it's in for work. I've nice wheels and while I doubt anyone would go to the effort, they are an important part of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lost the nut key to mine, got normal ones put on instead. As the mechanic said, the won't rob scraped alloys from a 10 year old skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It all depends on where you live or park regularly on whether you need lock nuts or not. I'd a set of old hub caps stolen from my car a few days after the NCT when I not got around to cable tying them. A few weeks ago I'd cheap silver dust caps stolen. My Sister woke up a few days after getting a new car with it on blocks in her driveway. I also know people who still leave the keys in their car when parking at home.

If you're worried about somewhere damaging lock nuts then take them off before you drop it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I had a refurbed set of MV2's on my E90 afew years ago and while I doubt I'd ever get them robbed or be parked anywhere that could increase the chance of it happening, I decided to keep the locking nuts just in case.

Now have an E60 on standard 4 spoke alloys which a chipped and kerbed so I got rid of the locknuts. Just a hassle keeping track of it (garages, tyre shops etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Get them off and bin them!!!! They are a nightmare when they break. And they will break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

With the vast majority of cars wearing cheap Chinese tyres that aren’t worth robbing anyway, I’d say get rid of the lock nuts.

Only ever had one friend have a wheel stolen. A single wheel. It was a steel wheel off a mk1 Octavia so no lock but anyway.

The thief must have had a flat and no spare. Left his car jacked up and scarpered with my mate’s wheel in the dead of the night.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

A lock keeps out an honest man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

I always take them off.

There is panic for a few seconds when you cant find them.

And as a tyre place said to me, thieves will break the window of the car to get the locking key , so then you have to replace a window and a set of alloys .

If you hide the key , or take it with you, several windows could get broken out of spite

Advertisement