Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin - Family things to do

Options
  • 16-10-2023 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

We are heading to Berlin ( staying in Mitte) for a few days next week - family with 2 kids ( 15 and 12). Can anyone recommend fun things to do? Will be around Halloween so not sure if there is something specific to that? Any cycling options close to where we are that may be fun?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Would highly recommend a cycling tour yeah. Fat Bike tours in Alexanderplatz do really good tours.

Theres also Tierpark and the zoo in Tiergarten.

Theres a computer games museum, a high tech "espionage" museum, natural history museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

The zoo is horrible. Really depressing. Tiergarten is good.

Jewish museum and memorial is fantastic.

Agreed on the espionage museum, is that the stazi one?

So much to do and see. U and s-bahn are great to get around.

TV tower is interesting.

Get curry wurst while on the go.

Also look at the plaques outside buildings. Really brings home the history of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

I took my 15 year old to Berlin in the spring for a long weekend.

Particular hits with her were:

Berlin Wall memorial - Bernauer Strasse. When you get out of the u-bahn there's a whole section where you can walk and see remnants of the wall, pictures of events etc. You end up at the actual memorial and a watch tower that you can climb.

Mauerpark flea market - we could have spent the whole day there browsing and picking up little bits to eat and drink from the stalls.

Spy Museum - interactive and interesting. We ended up doing it because it was a bit early for dinner and we were in the area, but it was one of the best things we did.

Bundestag building. We just did the dome tour (you have to book in advance but it is free). We got a very early appointment so we were nearly first in there, and the view over the city was amazing.

The open top bus tour was actually great too - interesting information and a good view of the city. We got a 24 hour ticket and as we were only in Berlin a few days it gave us a chance to get an overview of some of the places we didn't have time to visit. We hopped off at Unter den Linden for a coffee and a look at the Bebelplatz book burning memorial. We also used it to go past the East Side Gallery and see the murals there (by that stage we actually couldn't walk another step, so stayed on the bus as it slowly drove past)

Oh, and the shopping :) We tried the Mall of Berlin first, but most of it was a bit too high end. The Alexa centre at Alexanderplatz was much more her vibe. I had to drag her out of it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

+1 on the Spy Museum, the DDR museum is good as well.

The Topography of Terror is highly rated but wasn't for me. It's the site of the SS HQ but it's just an information centre. Just a modern building with boards telling the story of the war in text, no artifacts or anything like that. Felt like going to a college library to read a leaflet on the Third Reich.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

Oh I forgot one of the other hits... TimeRide Berlin. It's a VR "bus" tour of East Berlin in the 1980s. It's a couple of minutes walk from Checkpoint Charlie. We both really enjoyed it and it was cleverly done. I think the also may have a walking tour version, but the pretend bus and VR glasses were good fun, and gave really good feeling for how things were before the wall came down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I enjoyed The Topography of Terror. Fine for a 30 minute mooch. Free aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Schalker

My family didnt enjoyed it so much in 1945

Advertisement