Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloys leaking air 2009 Astra

Options
  • 15-10-2023 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. I'm driving a 2009 Astra which I'm fairly certain still has the original alloys. For the past number of years (started during covid when car was idle quite a lot) 3 or the wheels are leaking air pretty constantly. I took it to a local garage and they showed me the problem (coating on the alloy is peeling at the point where tire forms a seal with the allow and air is creeping out at these points). He took the tires off all four alloys and cleaned them and then put tires back on and resealed them. This worked great for about 6 months but now the tires are leaking air again. My question for anyone here is what is the cheapest way for me to solve this problem permanently. Could I try to get the alloys repaired/refurbished or should I try to get new alloys or standard rims and replace them all. The actual tires are all currently in pretty good shape with plenty of wear left on them. The car is a runaround and fairly battered so I don't care what the solution looks like. My priority is to get a permanent fix and not spend a fortune. It's such a pain coming out in the morning every other day and having to put air in one of more of the tires. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't care about ascetics you could replace them with 4 steel rims or second hand alloys from a scrap yard. Just make sure they are the same size and fit the existing tyres and wheel hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Just because they leaked from the rim before doesn't mean you didn't pick up a heap of nails since. Get them checked again. You could use bead sealant or put tubes in them if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭User1998

Had the same issue myself on a different car. Tyre shop told me to get the wheels resprayed and refurbished.

You could probably pick up a set of wheels & tyres for your car for around €150. A full refurb would be like €300+

You could wait until your tyres are almost bald to make it worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I had the exact same issue many, many years ago.

I picked up a can of Tyre Weld, put about 1/4 of the can in each tyre and never had an issue with air leaking again, while I still had the car.

Less than €10 in Halfords for the standard size can - worth trying before attempting anything else.

Advertisement