Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelf for shed

Options
  • 15-10-2023 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Is pine shelf ok for shed?. If not which wood is best? Pine 6 feet long by 8 ins wide is 32 euro. Is there cheaper wood that would do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭DC999

For a shed, any wood will do bar mdf. Mdf doesn't like moisture which some sheds can have.

If you have a Jigsaw or any electric saw, you can get 8 foot x 4 foot sheets and cut them down. You'll get much stronger shelves that way.

TJ O'Mahony deliver for 20 quid. Or you can find a local builder yard. You want a sheet of OSB (which is the wood yoh see used for temporary hoarding outside a building site). Or cheap plywood. If it's a little weak, you can double it up. So put 2 sheets on top of each other. I did that and the shelf will outlive our house :)

You can get 2inch x 2 inch lengths under to support it. So you need that as well as a large sheet of timber. They would screw into the wood supports inside the shed. You can get 5 meters of that for a tenner from likes of TJ O'Mahony.

Woodies or the likes charge a bomb for the convenience of having the wood cut and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

Assuming you're not looking for any sort of fancy shelf you could just buy length of 8 or 9x1 in treated timber if you think damp might be an issue or bog standard timber, the planed stuff would be fairly smooth while the treated would be rougher. A 15' approx length should be 10/12 quid or thereabouts. Any builders provider would saw it in half for you to take in car if that sort of length suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Given that it costs money to recycle wood, used wood has negative value to most people, so the cheapest option is to get it for free if you have the tools to cut it to size.

Also better environmentally, obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What kind of shed? ie timber framed or concrete walls

Ho wil, l shelf be supported

what will shelving be used for?

Tins of paint or steel sections?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SarahLee1
    Coupontive.com

I have the same problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Sheet of 8x4 ply, you'll get 4 x 12" (or 3 x 18" / 5 x ~9") shelves per sheet. 12mm should be thick enough, thinner might bend over time.

A few L brackets like these

Have them in our garage with 20 years and rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭chooseusername

8ft. scaffold board and gallows brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

My shed shelving is a mixture between old metal shelves that were getting dumped or are made out of unwanted pallets.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement